ok, help with a.... differnet sort of problem

peteyboy22

Baseband Member
ok, i may be known here for asked weird questions about random projects, like when i built my computer for the first time, or wanted to put LED lights on my surround sound..... see i told you...

well, this time i'm wanting to control a RC car with my keyboard on my computer

i had a few ideas on how to do this

but before i go into detail about how to do this, FIRST i ask the most important question

how can i control the power used on a usb port?

my idea was, to take a usb cord, solder then ends to 1 button, and then have a button on the keyboard, turn the power on, and off, for going, and not going

i know this would take alot of usbs to control forward back, left and right, and 3 other options that are on the controler... total of 7, but i'm only wanting to do 4

so, is this possible? can i control how much power is sent, or at least something to complete the circut to make a "button press"?

i was going to connect a laptop to the RC and then control i with another pc via remote desktop (works good with keyboard, no delay, and also for a webcam attached to mounted laptop on RC)

there are a few more options, but i'll stick with this one for now..

so again:

can i control the power sent to a usb port? or is there something else that can do what i'm asking?

ok, scratch out most of what i said above... i found a better way of explaining it, how can i use my usb ports as a switch, without sending 8 volts of electricity into my computer resulting in a very unhappy person

-------------------------

ok, here's what i want

RC -*soldered to* - usb cord -*connected to* - computer

and then use the computer keyboard, to turn the switch on and off for each port...

possible? if so how? if not, why not?

No way Jose. You need to study just what usb is and how it works. It's a asynchronous serial connection. It's not a switch.
You can get digital to analog converters that take a programs output and convert it to simple on/off or variable resistance or voltage. But with out that interface if you do what you have in mind, not only will it not work but it will blow your computer to hell and back.
You are determined to turn your computer in to an expensive door prop.

This is what you need:
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Acces...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

i know that the rc-usb-comptuer wouldn't work, i wanted to know what else i needed inbetween

i'll buy that servo controller, but i want to make sure it's exactly what i need

my rc is 7.2 volts

and does it come with some kind of software for me to porgram in? or is it all c or c# or something?

and where could i go to get help with programming a simple movment program?

--

oh yeah, another thing, do i connect the servo directly to the motors, or to the board, attached to the motors?

It should be able to drive the steering servos directly. You may need to get the drive motor interface.
As for the software they have it either with the board or for download on the site. Parallax is good about support. You may want to sign up on their forums.

Back
Top Bottom