New external HD ac adapter help :(

DPtheGod

Baseband Member
Hey guys, what's up?

So, apparently, the wiring for my external hard drive's AC adapter was exposed and is now ripped out of the plugin adapter. So, my HD cannot power on for now. I plan to try and wire it back together myself as a temp fix, but here I am, wondering if someone knows of a place I can find one for cheap. So far, Amazon is the only place I've found a replacement, and they want $26 + shipping.

The hard drive specs are:

Western Digital 2.0 USB 500 gb
MDL: WD5000H1CS-00

The AC adapter specs are:
MDL: ADS-24S-12 1224GPCU
Input: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz
Output: 12V --- 2A

Thanks guys! :(

Once you've prepared the laptop hard drive, you're ready to connect it to the adapter and then to the desktop system. Fortunately, these small form-factor drives use a standard connector that is based on the IDE specification. As such, you can use a laptop hard drive adapter to connect a laptop's hard drive to the IDE cable on the desktop system.

Hello DJP1986

Not sure what "sillysill" is refering to, but they do make USB power adapters for eHDDs like what you have. I have one myself. However from the information you've provided the eHDD requires a 12V input and USB is only 5V, so it's probably better to just buy a new AC adapter. It might be a good idea to check the warranty to see if the power adapter is covered and you might get away with exchanging it for a new one from where every you bought it. Otherwise save your self the hassle and check them out on eBay. Yes I said eBay, I myself have been shopping on eBay for years and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's called "eBay Buyer Protection" and it just came out early 2010. If it flat out doesn't work you get your money back.

Home charger For WD My Book Home Edition WD5000H1CS-00 - eBay (item 300502520994 end time Jan-07-11 15:16:13 PST)

Back
Top Bottom