need help with router

Psych0

Baseband Member
rite i hope someone can help me with this i bought a laptop and a router the other day now i hav pulged the router into the modem and into the mains but i hav not pluged it into the computer as i do not hav a network card but that dont matter as the router is sending the signal. my laptop is the problem as it is reciving the singal from the router (54mbps) but when eva i go to use a internet based program suck as internet explorer it comes up page can not be displayed and it will not connect to the internet can any one plz tell what the problem is and how to fix it plz. my internet service provider is telewest broardband if that helps. PLZ PLZ PLZ help me fix this problem thanx

Well, it seems like the laptop is not connecting to the network. When the wireless router is on, what does the laptop say when it finds the signal? Make sure the cable modem is plugged into the internet port of the router, too. All the ports are not the same. It would help if we knew the make and model of the router and your laptop.

For most routers, you need to set up the router from a wired connection. Assuming that you have at least 1 CAT5 (network) cable, just plug your laptop into the router in the number 1 slot. Insert the setup disc that came with your router, and follow the instructions.

it is a belkin g+router and the laptop is an advent but on the laptop it say i am connected to psych0 wich is the name of the network i set up when i found the signal but it still wont log onto the net

Well then, it's probably something wrong with the connection between the router and the modem rather than the computer. Try using a wired connection to the laptop and see if it works then.

Proper way to install the router:
- Unplug both the router and the modem.
- Connect the modem to the port labeled WAN on the router
- Plug in your modem, wait 10 seconds
- Plug in your router.
- Reboot your PC

Also, if you have a PPPoE connection (you have to put in a password to get on the internet) then in the router settings you have to give the router the password.

Back
Top Bottom