Go Back   Computer Forums > General Electricals
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default My Xbox 360 is ridiculously loud

I'm now onto my third Xbox 360

I find this quite remarkable as it's not like i play it 8 hours a day - i rarely play that in a fortnight. The first one i got the red 'ring of death' thing after about 6 months and GAME replaced it there and then in the shop, which is good service i suppose, though they just took my word for it that it was broken which i thought was a little laid back? Anyhow, they did the same a week later when i took the new one in because the new one i got scratched a fine ring just outside the centre of the disk.

So i'm now onto my third Xbox 360 as of a couple of months ago. This one also scratches my disks, which i'm passed caring about, but along with this it is unimaginably loud. It's the disk drive, the fans aren't too bad, but it's so high-pitched it's actually really unpleasant and makes me stop playing after a while.

So i just wanted to know if this was normal? And also, why on earth can't Microsoft just make a decent Xbox 360 that doesn't have problems?

Don't get me wrong, i love my Xbox 360, i just wish it would be quiet.

Wiredchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: My Xbox 360 is ridiculously loud

Yep, its normal...

The scratching of the discs isn't however, especially if it'll cause problems!

Mines pretty loud too, and is around 3x louder than my PC which is something.

I was thinking of 3D modelling the Xbox 360 and modding the model with a massive fan on it

(Ouch, my computer just blue screened. Least Firefox saves what I put )

Anyhow, yeah, the PS3 for example is quieter than my PC.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
In Runtime

I just can't believe how loud it is, it really spoils playing games sometimes. Also, i just find it odd that all three Xbox 360's i've had have sounded different - the second one was pretty quiet, but scratched disks so i took it back, which i now regret with this one being so noisey. I thought they'd all be the same.

Anyway, i think it's the disk drive that makes the noise, so i don't think adding a fan would solve it? Or it seems to be with mine anyway, when it's running without a disk it it doesn't make any noise really.
Wiredchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to sherwood Send a message via MSN to sherwood

All xbox's are unbelievably loud. And the thing about it scratching your discs I'm sure mine does that as well because i never leave them laying around they are always in the machine or the xbox.

Also my xbox and PC are next to each other and my xbox is always louder it stupid how microsoft make them so loud.
my rig: Foxconn M7VMX Series|Intel Core 2 Duo E7200GHz|2.00GB of RAM|500GB Western Digital SATA HDD|500GB Hitachi SATA|500GB Maxtor External|Nvidia GeForce 8 Serise 512MB.|400W power supply.|Windows Vista Ultimate|19" HD Monitor
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

I don't know, my elite is actually quite quiet. The noise you are hearing may also be the cause of your scratched discs. I would take it back again man, just make sure they load it up if they don't believe you, just my .02 though.
xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

It is honestly loud.

I'm not surprised no one has modded the Xbox 360 with a massive side fan (theres room for maybe a 250mm easy), and replace the loud fans with lower toned ones)

The DVD drive then of course powers up, and yes, that is louder than all the fans put together. I'm sure this could be replaced too, unless it has been changed somewhat.