A little lost.

firefight

Solid State Member
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I am computer literate but dont know all i need to know but.

I am replacing my complete living room systems,

Am proably going to go for a 42 inch samsung tv, the problem i have is that i want to also buy an entertainment system.

One that will allow me to play games via the internet on the tv, it must also be able to do all things a normal computer would alow me to do.

Surf, play music, surround sound, play dvd's etc.

Any top tips would be greatfully recieved.

Budget of probably between £ 600 and £ 1000 i am thinking it needs to last a good 5 years before neading a replacement.

You Could get a PS3,You can do all that on a PS3,and you can run linux on a PS3.

You Mentioned:

Games Via Internet:Im not sure wether you mean flash games,or just multipleyer over the internet,a PS3 can do both.

Surf the internet:That's possible with the PS3.

Play Music:The Ps3 allows you to store your music on its hardrive so you can have your entire collection on it.

Surround sound:The PS3 has Optical output,so you would just need a 5.1 channel Amp that has Optical input.

Play DVD's:The PS3 will allow you to do that,aswell as Blu-Ray.

and,Im sure you will pick one up within your price range.

when i say games i mean games.

raven shield, ghost recon etc.

I did not know you could do all that with a ps3 never even crossed my mind.

Can you still surf the net, i.e plug in a keyboard and mouse with a ps3.

Yeah the PS3 is a very versatile console (Speaking from experience,Happy PS3 owner).You can Defintely surf the internet on a PS3,I was watching youtube on TV the other Night :D.Ill have to get back to you on the Keyboard and mouse subject though.

EDIT:Apparently you can no problems with a wireless bluetooth keyboard an mouse

http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/120

Ok mate cheers.

I'm still not sure if it will do all i want i checked out the cost's

£ 299 for system + a souround sound at £ 299 so there is £ 600 quid which is kewl.

60 gb hard drive, seems little small, to store music etc on the system.

Haveing been a dedicated online gamer for a while, might seem weird going to a hand held controller to play the games, do you still go through the same mulitiplayer servers etc. ( if you know).

Think i need to find someone with one and see it in action

( just read it, keyboard instead of controller, sounding better by the minute.

Thanks for help .

Yeah,I Like to game myself on STEAM and games like that,I have only experience in 3 games on PS3,All Racing games,and they simply just match you up with a race that has players that have similar ranks as you.

You can also upgrade your PS3's hardrive (its just a standard IDE hardrive) but that will void your warranty.

so you can get through steam on the ps3.

Sound like it could be the way ahead, still not sure about the size of the hard drive though.

when i say games i mean games.

raven shield, ghost recon etc.

I did not know you could do all that with a ps3 never even crossed my mind.

Can you still surf the net, i.e plug in a keyboard and mouse with a ps3.

You don't even have to plug in a keyboard and mouse. Some keyboard/mouse combos like my Logitech MX5000 keyboard and MX1000 mouse can be found without plugging anything into the PS3.

I simply go to detect bluetooth keyboard or mouse and hit connect on the keyboard or mouse and it finds it.

Also you can do printing via bluetooth from the PS3 as well as upload all your music and video's to it as well.

If your going that route I'd recommend getting a 40GB version and just using the money you save to buy a 250GB HD and swap it out. Don't worry hard drive swapping is very simple on the PS3 just a 2.5 5400RPM notebook drive and it won't void your warranty.

I'd only recommend getting the 80GB version if you want to play PS2 games or if SACD's are important to you.

The PS3 has a built in browser though if you like as Neodude112320 stated you can put Linux on it if you want.

If you search the PS3 its actually being labeled a computer since it can do pretty much anything a computer can do plus you'll have a Blu Ray player for your HD TV as well.

Don't get me wrong PC's are sweet but for $400 bucks you can't beat the PS3 for a media center setup. Built in Wi Fi as well so you can just use a wireless signal if you want as well instead of running a Ethernet cable to get access.

No there is no steam on the PS3. It has its own network setup labeled the PSN network were you can go to download demo's, full games, previews, hd content etc. Each game comes with there own chat interface. But the PS3 has a built in chat were you can see which friends are online and chat with them via the controller, keyboard or webcam as well as leave messages.

Back
Top Bottom