Electricity

In physics class I never really paid full attention to electricity (there are many reasons for this, and I won't bother you with them). Going into an engineering field, I feel like I need to have better knowledge of this, so what I'm going to do is the following:

Everyday, I'll read a few articles about a certain topic regarding electricity. I'll post here what I've read so I can keep myself motivated, and maybe get some members to join in too. After a week, I'll catalog how many articles I've read and on what topics. I'll also order a kit of electronic components so I can start playing around a bit. I'll post my created circuits here.

I'm sorry that you guys are going to have to deal with this, but I need to keep myself motivated and CF seems like a really good place. I'm starting tonight with a few articles.

Wikipedia Articles:

1a. Electric Charge

Article (1a) is leading me into a more physical approach than what I was looking for. I will restart with article (2a).

2a. Microcontroller
3a. Electrical Circuit/Network
3b. Resistors -- Current read

Footnotes: Please feel free to share any good texts or ideas on how best to learn some of this stuff. It's a lot of take in, but I have all of summer to make some good progress.

Also, @mods: I realized now that this belongs under general electrical. If one of you could please move it there I'd appreciate. Sorry for the trouble, thanks. And yes, I'm okay with being handed an infraction for this.

Going deeper into the computer and it's circuits, are you? I commend you sir, for being a devoted tech. Let us know when you build one from scratch :)

Yea i've been into electronics since I was 9 when I wired my first plug. The last solution I developed was the electronics to operate the seat adjustments in a car.

I'll throw up a few sites later. I found one recently that is great for the hobbyist and has quite a lot of interesting projects you can have a go at.

Elliott Sound Products. I'm actually considering a few of these projects as solutions in my studio.

Also, @mods: I realized now that this belongs under general electrical. If one of you could please move it there I'd appreciate. Sorry for the trouble, thanks. And yes, I'm okay with being handed an infraction for this.
I think it's ok here.

it's about electricity, but not electronic devices, so the social lounge seems as good of a place as any.

I'm walking a fine line right now because if I deviate too much I'll start getting into more the physical theory rather than the applications (which is what I'm interested in). I want to go deep into circuits because I've learned all this mathematics that relates resistance, inductance, current, capacity, etc. yet I don't understand exactly what it's relating, all I can do is the mathematics.

I'm going to my friend's house today, and he's going to give me a quick breakdown of everything (he's studying to be an electrical engineer). He's got some cool devices he's going to lend me (microcontrollers, LEDs, motors, etc) so I can start tinkering as well.

The great thing about electronics is that the parts don't generally cost much at all these days. Bit of breadboard, soldering stuff, resistors, LEDs, transistors and the like can be picked up very cheaply.

I learnt most of what I know by just looking up random circuits online, then trying to figure out how they worked, asking questions if I needed. It's a relatively quick way to learn, at least I found so. Then again, I was coming from a relatively strong background since I'd got a good grasp of the fundamental components and what they did, as well as having spent many evenings tinkering around with various logic gates!

As a bit of a side, understanding things thoroughly on a low level can often help in various places higher up as well (not just in electrics but generally within computing.) You'll learn a new side of solving problems, and especially if you fancy hacking out things in ASM or C, this will prove very useful.

Other than eBay, does anyone know a good place to buy microcontrollers, breadboards, LEDs, etc? I don't want to dish out a lot of money on this yet, so it would have to be relatively cheap.

Back
Top Bottom