Dell Dimensions 1100

daniel2920

Beta member
I recently picked up a Dell Dimensions 1100 from a garage sale and I want to make it run smooth and clean. I'm doing a project kind of thing with it. I don't need to run games or anything but I would like it to be able to surf the web and possibly run newer operating systems. What are the parts that are needed that would work with the motherboard (unless a new motherboard is needed)? The budget is something around $100-$150.

Wow, you might have trouble finding parts that are compatible with that computer, it's pretty old. My google search shows that it uses PATA/IDE drives, so you can't use an SSD. Any parts you put into this thing are going to be used and hard to find/expensive if you don't live near a used parts reseller. IMHO, you'd be better served by putting that $100-$150 towards a tablet or laptop. I'd bet even a chepo windows 10 tablet would run faster than that dell.

I agree that it probably isn't worth the effort to upgrade that computer but if you really wanted to you could completely gut the case and install all new parts inside. Even that might prove difficult since the case might not accept standard sized motherboards or PSUs since PC mfrs often use proprietary components in their systems.

They actually make PATA/IDE SSDs so that wouldn't be a showstopper but you'd be better off putting your money toward a newer system.

but if you really wanted to you could completely gut the case and install all new parts inside. Even that might prove difficult since the case might not accept standard sized motherboards or PSUs since PC mfrs often use proprietary components in their systems.

It's a Dell, i'm almost certain that the motherboard is non-standard, PSU too.

They actually make PATA/IDE SSDs so that wouldn't be a showstopper but you'd be better off putting your money toward a newer system.

ide ssd? really? what's the throughput on those?

Back
Top Bottom