Connect a subwoofer to my stereo system?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have sold off all my old speakers and just have one system now (Sony D.S.W. LBT-XB800AV). It doesn't have the orange subwoofer rca output on the back of the amp/stereo, but it does have "MD Out" which outputs the music through the usual L and R red and white RCA leads. Would it be possible to connet a sub which uses the single orange RCA to either/both of those regular red and white RCAs? Thanks.

I think that you'd need a separate amplifier to do that, since RCA is for non-amplified audio if you see what I mean...

I'm proberbly wrong, though.

Yeah, and the amp will also be given other signals, so its probably not good to plug it into it. If its a powered amp, you could give it a go, but most are passive.

I googled the name of that stereo and came up with nada so im just going to assume its a receiver, if im right then all you have to do is use a computer power supply to power the amp then just connect the stereo subwoofer output to either of the L or R. Im not sure if it matters, on mine i found an RCA Y cable and have them both hooked up. Hope this helps

Yeah there isn't much information on this system online, I think if you loose the "DSW" and just type "Sony XB800AV" you get a few results. The system consists of the main stereo/amplifier (5 cd changer, 2 tape decks, radio etc) and then two large 4 Way speakers (2 tweeters, midrange and subs).

Anyway, I have found a few subwoofers on ebay, the are separately powered, and as for a music signal, they accept a single orange rca like plug, my amp doesn't have one of those ouput sockets on the back. So I was just wondering how the regular RCA sound output would sound on the subwoofer (like you said to use a y plug), because the orange plug is designed specifically for a subwoofer, RCA isnt, so i don't know if it would send out the correct low frequencies etc. Sorry if that use of wording is confusing lol, just hard to explain what I mean.

The RCA should send out a full 20hz-20,000hz signal, depending on the amp, so the sub will recieve all the signal, so the bass too. It's how it outputs the higher frequencies it recieves, unless it has some kind of ouput limiter.

The RCA should send out a full 20hz-20,000hz signal, depending on the amp, so the sub will recieve all the signal, so the bass too. It's how it outputs the higher frequencies it recieves, unless it has some kind of ouput limiter.

Yeah does it have a variable crossover on it?

It limits what outputs from the subwoofer, as to not let it handle too high frequencies

Back
Top Bottom