Building a media center pc

un4given1

In Runtime
Alright, I'm in the works of building a media center compuer that will sit in my entertainment center and basically house movies for me. Now I've a question...

If I'm just running S-video from my computer to my TV to run stored DVDs from, do I need a bad ass video card to get good quality? Or does it really matter much?

Really, what are the concerned areas when building a media center?

well depends do u want to have better picture? bit a better video card u can display more clearer beter picture. if i were u i wouldnt use s video for it. i personaly use hdmi but depends what ur tv supports. wat kinda tv and wat card u planning to get?

If you want screen quality, a Geforce 6800, 7800 OR the X1600, X1800 could do it...although, the X1800 isn't out...and if it is...GET THE 512MB VERSION! 1GHZ memory transfer! Imagine that babe!

Media center PC? Since you're going to be using it to watch TV, movies, music, games, and internet, you may need a very good sound card, video card, and CPU. Get an Athlon 64 X2 for your multimedia needs. Get an Audigy 2 ZS or Gamers Edition for the sound card. Oh, get the Windows Media Center Edition as the OS.

Thanks for all the help... Now it's time to go see what the budget calls for.

Also, I've digital cable, can I run that through my machine? Basically what I want this for is to act as a server (more or less) to my other computers in the house. I will store my DVDs on there (DIVx format for space reasons) and music. Now if I wanted to just play music through the surround sound I could open up an MP3 play list... If I wanted to watch a DVD I just click and open it.
Oh, this is on a 42" plasma screen TV... It's not HD, I know I know... So picture quality, I dont know if it will be effected much.

I honestly dont think you need an amazingly good spec pc for a media center as it is only for displaying media.

un4given said:
Thanks for all the help... Now it's time to go see what the budget calls for.

Also, I've digital cable, can I run that through my machine? Basically what I want this for is to act as a server (more or less) to my other computers in the house. I will store my DVDs on there (DIVx format for space reasons) and music. Now if I wanted to just play music through the surround sound I could open up an MP3 play list... If I wanted to watch a DVD I just click and open it.
Oh, this is on a 42" plasma screen TV... It's not HD, I know I know... So picture quality, I dont know if it will be effected much.
yes, you can run your digital cable through it, but you need a tv tuner, might i reccomend WinTV? i have it, it is a great system

your basically gonna want a big hdd (for movies/music) probably at least 250 gb
and definately a nice sound card/ video card
lots of memory (so thers no lag during movies)
and your gonna probably not even want internet on it, dont be tempted to install other programs, just media center stuff/dvd players/vlc/drivers etc.

this might be a stupid question, i am planning on doing the same with my tv in my basement; however, i want it as a server for movies and act as a desktop if need be for internet, why would internet be a bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom