Go Back   Computer Forums > Gaming, Reviews, Handheld Devices | Classifieds > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Beta Member

Hello computer forums,
I am looking for an external hard drive i can use on my xbox. I want a hard drive that connects to the xbox by usb but that i can upload files to via wifi or bluetooth. Is there something like this or where can i find this?

I want to be able to upload movie files, pictures and music from my laptop to the hard drive and use on my xbox.

Thanks in advance guys.

Acar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Wifi hard drive

You can get one from Seagate called wireless plus Wireless Hard Drive, iPad Hard Drive | Seagate.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

That's an awesome find BK. I would have said it didn't exist. However, not sure how well it will work with an XBox since it talks about needing the app on the tablets.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
That's an awesome find BK. I would have said it didn't exist. However, not sure how well it will work with an XBox since it talks about needing the app on the tablets.
I know right, It's something I would defiantly buy, Technology these days is amazing.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

I have the Seagate Wireless Plus drive and I believe it will do what you are asking but, just so you know, if it is connected via USB to your xbox then you can't also connect to it at the same time via wifi.

You should be able to connect via wifi from your laptop to copy files to it, then connect it via USB to your xbox to use them. I don't see any advantage to doing it that way since USB transfer is faster than wifi so you may as well connect via USB to your laptop, copy the files, then connect to your xbox.

Kingston also makes a similar product, Kingston W-drive. They are smaller in capacity but use solid state memory instead of a spinner.

You can use an app to access it from iOS or Android but it is also accessible from a device with a browser.

I use mine to carry movies with me that I can access via my Android phone or Android tablet, it works great for that and gives me 1TB of storage.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires

I take and copy my movies and anime off my computer and load them on the 500gig external drive. If I get more movies and what not, I take the drive off the TV and add them. Then put it back on the TV.

Another way is to get a router that has a port for a shared USB hard drive. Then you just set it to share the drive with the game gizmo. And the bonus is you can share the drive contents with other wireless or hard wired devices. I'm looking in to one as soon as I get settled in my new digs.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Beta Member

Setishock, can you upload stuff to the hard drive connected to the router? I have a router i can do that with as well as an external hard drive.
Acar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acar25 View Post
Setishock, can you upload stuff to the hard drive connected to the router? I have a router i can do that with as well as an external hard drive.
If its connected to the router via USB than you should be able to view, copy and paste files to the computer and send files to the router, It will take a bit longer as connection won't be as fast. Also if you have both windows and mac computers than if the drives formatted to windows, only windows computers will be able to see it and not the mac users.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Wizard of Wires

TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Newegg.com
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires

I ordered the TP-Link WDR4300 this morning on an over night delivery deal. Should be here Friday afternoon. I'll be reviewing it after I've played with it this week end.