Ssd choice

NewbiePcBuilder

Beta member
Hello,
I'm new on this forum and I'm trying to pick a ssd for my prebuilt pc.
Pc spec:
I3 6300 3.8ghz
Gtx 1050 ti 4gb oc
16 gb of vengeance ddr3 ram
Evga 600w psu
1tb barracuda hdd
Asus - B150M-A D3 Micro ATX motherboard
I'm looking for a ssd for around 100$ .
Thanks in advance

Since your motherboard does not have a M.2 port you will want to go with a SATA SSD. In the US you can get a 512GB SSD for less than $100 if you catch it on sale.

Some folks say to only use Intel SSD's and others say only go with Samsung. I have used Samsung, Adata, OCZ, SanDisk, and Crucial and all have worked well.

I'm not really looking for a 512 gb ssd since I don't intend to be using that much space for casual gaming and general browsing.
Also is there an easy way to move the OS from HDD to ssd?
I'm looking for the fastest start up time I can get.

Is your 1TB HDD partitioned as a single C: drive? If so, your best best would be to do a clean install of the OS and your programs to the SSD. Then copy all the data from the HDD to another drive and format the HDD to remove the existing OS and program files, then copy the data back to it.

If it's partitioned as a C: and a D: with the OS and programs on C: and the C: partition is no larger than the SSD, you could clone the C: partition to the SSD.

I wouldn't be too quick to pass on a larger SSD if it's in your budget. You just might want a bigger drive some day. My opinion is that you can never have too much disk space.

Last edited:
Any SSD is way faster than any HDD on the market. Samsung usually makes good SSDs, and the older models (like the 850 EVO) tend to have good prices. As Trotter said, Samsung is not the best and only option. You can find good Intel (usually expensive), Crucial, OCZ, and a bunch of others, even SanDisk that have great prices too.

Grab the best thing you can afford and read some reviews online. Even though the boys here have lots of experience with computers, nobody can test as much hardware as those guys on websites and YouTube that make reviews, so that's you best option.

Computers are like everything: except for a few exceptions, you get what you paid for.

I think it's still pretty important to look at the warranty when it comes to SSDs. You want a nice 3 year warranty on your SSD.

Back
Top Bottom