PC slowed down after cleaning

merenidi

Solid State Member
Hello to the forums!
I would like to post a problem of mine,I would love if anyone could solve it.
So,I've been cleaning my PC lately (newbie cleaning,I think I left 2-3 fingerprints) and a day or 2 after the cleaning,my computer started getting slower, having a little lag on games that it has been playing perfectly 2 days before the cleaning. Does it have to do with the fact I left some fingerprints on the Motherboard or is it purely coincidential?
Thanks for any further help.

Check for loose connections on anything that plugs in to the board or each other. And although it's a long shot, most likely just one of those amazing co inky dinks.

Yeah as Setishock said, you might have inadvertently bumped something and loosened a connection. Fingerprints on the motherboard wouldn't make much of a difference as the tracks are covered. However depending on what you used to clean it, its not uncommon to have accidentally ripped off a surface mounted resistor or something similar.

First I would run some simple benchmarks on your hard drive/s and make sure they are running normally and in the correct SATA controllers as before the clean(I always mark my SATA cables, C Drive/ Storage etc). Then take out your RAM and give the area a blast with an air duster and pop them back in, same for the G/Card. Also make sure your connectors are the way you had them before, trying to run too much connected to one chain maybe cause power interrupts. Keep your fans/lights etc away from the same chain as other components like HDD's and G/Card.

Probably something simple but it always pays to cover the basics, good luck.

Yeah as Setishock said, you might have inadvertently bumped something and loosened a connection. Fingerprints on the motherboard wouldn't make much of a difference as the tracks are covered. However depending on what you used to clean it, its not uncommon to have accidentally ripped off a surface mounted resistor or something similar.

First I would run some simple benchmarks on your hard drive/s and make sure they are running normally and in the correct SATA controllers as before the clean(I always mark my SATA cables, C Drive/ Storage etc). Then take out your RAM and give the area a blast with an air duster and pop them back in, same for the G/Card. Also make sure your connectors are the way you had them before, trying to run too much connected to one chain maybe cause power interrupts. Keep your fans/lights etc away from the same chain as other components like HDD's and G/Card.

Probably something simple but it always pays to cover the basics, good luck.

Ok so,how do you run a benchmark and where can you find it from?
I never took out the RAM or the GCard,so I don't believe there is a problem there. And I've not changed the position of any cables I firstly removed. And I have another worry: I have had a problem with attaching the CPU fan back to the motherboard,and I have done a little bending on the motherboard,with no breaking or anything,just a little bending. And with the POST check at bootup it seems that I've put it back correctly. Is there any chance of it not being attached correctly,even if the POST says so? I've monitored the CPU temperature and saw everything is OK,but you know,I want to take account of even the smallest things.

Ok so,how do you run a benchmark and where can you find it from?
I never took out the RAM or the GCard,so I don't believe there is a problem there. And I've not changed the position of any cables I firstly removed. And I have another worry: I have had a problem with attaching the CPU fan back to the motherboard,and I have done a little bending on the motherboard,with no breaking or anything,just a little bending. And with the POST check at bootup it seems that I've put it back correctly. Is there any chance of it not being attached correctly,even if the POST says so? I've monitored the CPU temperature and saw everything is OK,but you know,I want to take account of even the smallest things.

If your temps are normal you seated the CPU fine. If even one end of the heatsink was not making contact, that slight height increase would definitely show up in your temps. As far as the bending goes, mine was bending like a banana when I was trying to get my heatsink on (those annoying little white push pins), there is a little leeway there but there is always a risk in stretching a few tracks and breaking them. But I wouldn't expect the PC to run at all let alone slow.

You could download CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and just run the default "analyse" to see what you can get rid of, and then "clean". Its rock solid little app and doesn't delete anything you're going to need, just don't check any extra boxes in the options and you will be good. Same for the registry option, just run the default "scan for issues", you can back up the files to be wiped when it asks if you are experiencing more problems, but I have never had the need to use a backup ever.

There is a tiny little program called HD_speed at this link, HD_Speed - www.SteelBytes.com
I use it quite often, just use the "read" and "burst rate", if your drive is empty you can test the write, but if there is any data on the drive you risk loosing it. It informs you of this by asking you to type DESTROY DATA into a box so its nothing you can do by accident. I use it to test USB drive speeds mostly, but I have had a few occasions where my hard drive was dying and this let me know very quickly by the low transfer speeds.

I would just go through the specs of your HDD's and make sure you are getting the right speeds. Check that the RAM you have available coincides with the RAM you have installed, memory sticks can die from a static charge just from your hand. As a last resort you could try a system restore to a time before you did the cleaning, I guess that way you can know if its software or hardware related. Might be a good idea to list your full system specs too.

Back
Top Bottom