Go Back   Computer Forums > Gaming, Reviews, Handheld Devices | Classifieds > Gaming
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Low Framerates!

Hello, my name is Ethan. I just recently bought a new computer... The specs are:
8 gigs of ram
AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-core processor (3.6GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
and a 1 terabyte hardrive....

I got this computer about 2 months ago... When I first got it, the computer could run World of Warcraft at 20+ frames per second on lowest settings... Recently, I have began to play again, and my frames are 8-10 no matter what the Video Settings are set to. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Doirdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Low Framerates!

That FPS is terrible. Could you post your specs in detail? What else are you doing when you are running WoW? And are you running at 64-bit or 32-bit?

distrACT -- an open community
● It helps to ask questions effectively
● Please join Server admins social group if you are into servers
dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
In Runtime
Default Re: Low Framerates!

Well, I can see from the looks of it your GPU is not a gaming one but one more designed for other media. I've not looked at the particular card, but judging from the name info you gave, it looks like a card not designed for gaming.

I had the same problem when I bought a GT 430 and it was utterly shite, because it simply wasn't a gaming card, unbeknownst to me, although I should've researched it, TBH.

Just looked it up, and my suspicions were half-correct; appears to be a very low-end gaming card. You'll want to upgrade your GPU! It's worth it. Your CPU is kick-ass, though; same as mine. Meanwhile, make sure you're using the latest GPU drivers, and if that still is giving terrible performance, then give an older driver a go; sometimes trial and error with drivers can reveal performance boosts.

OK, just thinking that 8-10FPS when it was substantially faster, is atrocious and unusual, so the only thing that comes to mind is a GPU update (from Automatic Updates, for example) has enabled some new fancy features and thus slowed you down; I had this problem with the GT 430 I mentioned, although that was just crap for games, period. You can give OCing the GPU a go, but I'm not sure if that'll yield much improvement. Has WoW been updated since you were getting 20FPS? Reason I ask, is because they might've improved various graphic features. That's me out of ideas, ATM.

OK, thought I'd recommend a card... if you're absolutely restricted by cash, then my brother recently got a card that has blown me away; it's pretty damn good and cheap considering what he gets.. it's the Radeon HD5750; I'd say it's mid-rangeish card. If you're looking for something with a little more oomph, there's what I've got, the PNY 550Ti which is 100 on Amazon (give or take a few quid) which nails most games on max. If you're looking to go a step further, there's the MSI Twin Frozr II 560Ti OC. Finally, if you're looking to get something supreme without going overboard, there's the 570/580 which I hear is pretty "legit". I'm more knowledgeable on nVidia cards, hence the lack of AMD mentioned.
My rig's specifications can be found here:
Yes, I'm New...
Der-PC-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote

frame, framerates, rates, world of warcraft