I'm geting a high fps but my screen is lagging

Joe Drage

Solid State Member
Hello,

I hope i have posted in the right place, it's my first time :)
I built a gaming pc a few months ago but there is a slight problem..

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 1790 processor
Geforce gtx 970
8gb Corsair RAM
120gb SSD
600 watt power supply
MSI Z97S SLI PLUS motherboard

When I am playing all games, such as minecraft I am getting a lower fps than what it is saying.. For instance when I start recording I limit the fps to 30 fps however it looks like I'm getting 15 fps? When I look back at the footage it shows that I am not lagging at all? It does this regardless of whether I am recording or not. I would think a 4gb graphics card would be able to put up with more than 30fps without lagging wouldn't you?

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe :D

Hey sup :D

What kinda monitor/TV are you using?

Check the refresh rate under the Change Resolution in the nVidia Control Panel. 4GB of video memory is more than enough, and the video chip your using too.

Hi thanks for the quick reply! :D

I'm using a 21 inch tv with hdmi on it (mhdmi to hdmi lead from computer)
I am getting 3 acer computer monitors for Christmas so I'll see if it just this tv. I'll post again when I get them to see if the problem has been solved :)

Cool.

I have a feeling it is the input lag that is the problem. It does not slow, but give the image later than actual action. I could be wrong tho.

Don't forget to use the 120Hz refresh rate with V-Sync turned off in your first try on those new monitors.

I use three Samsung monitors and a 60" Smart TV hooked to my computer :D

Hello,

Sorry for the very late reply!!! I got 3 new screens for christmas hoping the problem would be solved but no I have no idea what it is?

Yes when the recording software is off aswell it still lags its really strange! A GTX 970 should be able to cope with limiting fps to 30 surely? As i say it looks fine if I look at recorded footage?

:/

No it is fine with videos and music it is just when i do gaming and it is really strange... do you think it could be a setting on nvidia control panel because I can't see any settings which would cause this

Not sure about that. Do you have any other video card laying around? (or a built-in video if available). Try testing it. Try also playing any 2D (no hardware accelerated) game and see how it plays. Try disabling v-sync from the nVidia Control Panel (nothing else comes to my mind).

I assume you have the latest Geforece drivers? Get them from nVidia directly, no need from the card assembler.

I hope it is not the video card.

I would venture the recording software is competing for time on the CPU and the video card.
Turn off the recording software and see if the frame rate you see matches what the readout does.

Back
Top Bottom