Go Back   Computer Forums > Gaming, Reviews, Handheld Devices | Classifieds > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default GeForce Bottleneck?

Hey guys, I currently have a Pentium D915 at 2.8 GHz, and I want to get a GeForce 9800 GT 1GB and I was wonder at what point would it bottleneck on games like Mafia II, Farming Simulator 2013, Left 4 Dead 2, and Arma II? Thanks!
__________________

__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Baseband Member
 
Taylorig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 63
Default Re: GeForce Bottleneck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post
Hey guys, I currently have a Pentium D915 at 2.8 GHz, and I want to get a GeForce 9800 GT 1GB and I was wonder at what point would it bottleneck on games like Mafia II, Farming Simulator 2013, Left 4 Dead 2, and Arma II? Thanks!

Has i have said before it's more down to what you are trying to run as to whether or not the GPU or the CPU is the contributing Bottleneck. Don't get to hung up on bottlenecking. Just try the games and monitor your CPU/GPU usage with programs such as MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision and watch what percentage of you GPU is being used.

If let's say you are playing ArmA II and you notice only 50% of your GPU being used. That signifies that your CPU is holding it back. Basically you want to be seeing somewhere in the 90%+ region of your GPU being utilized. But on the other hand Arma II is very much CPU dependent and not that well optimized in all fairness.

For instance on my old system with a Q6600@3.2GHz and a GTX 560 i would see around 50 - 60% GPU usage. Now on my i7 2600@3.5GHz and the same GTX 560 i see 99% GPU usage more or less constantly.

So yea. Don't worry to much about bottlenecks. Just try the games and if they aren't running to well then back off some settings etc.
__________________

Taylorig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorig View Post

Has i have said before it's more down to what you are trying to run as to whether or not the GPU or the CPU is the contributing Bottleneck. Don't get to hung up on bottlenecking. Just try the games and monitor your CPU/GPU usage with programs such as MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision and watch what percentage of you GPU is being used.

If let's say you are playing ArmA II and you notice only 50% of your GPU being used. That signifies that your CPU is holding it back. Basically you want to be seeing somewhere in the 90%+ region of your GPU being utilized. But on the other hand Arma II is very much CPU dependent and not that well optimized in all fairness.

For instance on my old system with a Q6600@3.2GHz and a GTX 560 i would see around 50 - 60% GPU usage. Now on my i7 2600@3.5GHz and the same GTX 560 i see 99% GPU usage more or less constantly.

So yea. Don't worry to much about bottlenecks. Just try the games and if they aren't running to well then back off some settings etc.
Okay, update. I took 2 PSUs and wired them together, for power for my video card. I ordered the geforce 9800 akimbo for $35, and it should be here Thursday
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: GeForce Bottleneck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post
I took 2 PSUs and wired them together, for power for my video card.
i think your next upgrade should be a new computer.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post

i think your next upgrade should be a new computer.
Nope, my next upgrade will be a 600 Watt PSU so I don't have to use 2 PSU's.
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: GeForce Bottleneck?

well that would work aswell
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
well that would work aswell
I just thought it was kinda ingenious to wire them together They both work fine!
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

Update: The Geforce 9800 Akimbo is installed and working like a dream, but CPU is junk so will be upgrading to Core 2 Duo E8600
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,529
Default Re: GeForce Bottleneck?

Good idea, It should run better with that in there. If you mobo supports it I'd go for a quad core.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Good idea, It should run better with that in there. If you mobo supports it I'd go for a quad core.
Sorry dude, no quad core :/ I checked into that already . Bummer. I thought about flashing the bios, but I was told its risky :/
__________________

__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0