Dual core vs. Quad core

rph420

Beta member
I have a phenom ii x2 555 be and I'm able to overclock it at a stable 4.2 ghz; stock it is 3.2. But when playing far cry 4 and the evil within everything plays fine but then my computer shuts down. It happens at different times I've played for 45 minutes to 2 hours. The temps all check out fine they never go above 45c on my cpu or gpu with fans under 40% power. My question is; does the number of cores play a role in this and why, if I can run the processor at the same speed of newer models?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

It could be your power draw, when you overclock (if you up the voltage I think) the power draw of your cpu goes up now if your power supply can't handle this your pc will shut down

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Yeah i recently reduced my overclock 200 mhz for the same reason. Try messing with the Vcore (as rowcom stated) or just reduce the overclock a little.

I have a corsair tx850 psu.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

Ok now I have no clue how many devices do you have plugged into the same wall socket your pc is on because In England you can only put 2000w over a single plug

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Probably a voltage issue, most CPUs you can push a little with next to no temperature or voltage increase. However, it's the law of diminishing returns, you'll start to need a lot more power (thus more heat) for smaller gains. Probably worth lowering the clock speed like previously mentioned!

Back
Top Bottom