Go Back   Computer Forums > Gaming, Reviews, Handheld Devices | Classifieds > Gaming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to bessonberry Send a message via Skype™ to bessonberry
Default any valve fans?

valve is a popular gaming company in the industry. they have products like steam, and games like the counter-strike series, left 4 dead series, and even more!

there's a large group of fans who like what valve puts out. any of those fans here?

i enjoy a lot of what they put out, but i haven't had the time to check out a number of their games, like their team fortress games (i'm late.. i know lol), and their portal series. i enjoy their cs and l4d series though quite a bit.

bessonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: any valve fans?

I'm on steam sometimes to play some portal 2 that came with my ps3 copy.

TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
Omnicide now.

Nope. Valve's games are usually great, but I can't play them. Something about their engine makes me quite ill after just a few minutes. I played 30 minutes of Half Life 2 in coop with a friend the other day, then had to lie down the rest of the evening because I was severely nauseated and had a headache. I think the only valve game I've managed to play all the way through was the first portal, and I had to take dramamine and break it up into short sessions. I can play team fortress 2 for some reason though. It still eventually makes me sick, but I last a whole lot longer than any of their other games.

Also, they seem to be completely incompetent as far as bugfixing goes. Everything they've released for linux so far has been completely broken, often to the point of being unusable. Even on Windows, I've had my fair share of glitches. A few years back, steam was rendered unusable on every machine I owned (as well as a few friends' computers) due to an updating bug that they refused to do anything about. This went on for at least a year, with it only working maybe half the time. The only thing that fixed it was upgrading from XP to Windows 7.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

I love Dota2 and used to play the newest counter strike, but havnt really played any of their other games.

I love steam, 95% of all the games i own are bought and played through steam.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Baseband Member

yeah i played a bit of CS:GO, life got busy though. i'll probably start playing that again when i can give more time to gaming.

yeah foothead, valve and steam do have a lot of downsides. and when i say a lot, well... that's what i mean. i've been angry with steam and valve more times than i can count, from stuff like their updates that frequently break steam to their l4d2 sales that muck up the game with noobs. but they're a big player in the gaming industry, with some good games imo. steamos looks interesting too.

sux that you become ill when you play their games. they're decently made and i've come across some pretty awesome communities based on some of their games.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Solid State Member

yeah i saw u mentioned that u like using steam in this thread chatting service of choice?. i like using steam too. i love their sales tho. ive saved so much money on their summer and christmas sales. but amazon matches their prices. amazons pretty beast too.
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Baseband Member

steam is a pretty dope software\service sometimes. i wish someone would step in and compete with them though, i feel as if they aren't doing a good job from some aspects, and wouldn't mind being able to choose between steam and something else of quality.

like one thing i don't like about steam, they have a custom skins feature, but this feature is almost being made redundant by steam themselves. steam skins work as long as valve doesn't constantly change up the interface (steam skin authors often manage their steam skins with updates), but valve \ steam constantly break steam skins, which sucks because i love skinning my steam. and a lot of others do as well. on a steam skins site, they have well over 50 themes for steam, which means 50 authors are taking the time to stay updated with valve \ steam's constant annoying updates that break skins. but yeah </rant> lol.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
In Runtime

need more games on the mac side.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Why buy a mac if you want to game ?
rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
In Runtime

Well for me its all about convenience and portablility. I might have on my pc and mac which are separated by a great distance.