Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Gallery
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #2071
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Car Thread!

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Z anymore. Back when Nissan was still Datsun, the 240Z was just AWESOME. Fast, light and everything a sports coupe should be. Then it just started being built for fat American asses and now its getting heavier and heavier. Also, like ccasmoe00 said, theres nothing in the car that excites you...the Renault engine just drones and you just get bored when you look at the car.

Like I said, I'd buy the RX-8 over the 350Z in a heartbeat without a second thought. It's unique, light, quick and I just love Wankel Rotaries.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #2072
Fully Optimized
 
hascet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,218
Default Re: Car Thread!

What advantages do rotaries have over normal engines?
__________________

hascet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #2073
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Car Thread!

Lightweight, compact and they put out a lot of horsepower for the size. For example, the RX-8's Renesis rotary engine is about 1.3 litres, but it puts out about 230-ish horses. They also rev insanely high...the RX-8 redlines at 9000 RPM.

The rotary gives the RX-8 a big advantage in handling also. Because it's so compact, Mazda can fit it towards the middle of the car, which gives it a near 50-50 weight distribution.



The Mazda 787B is so awesome...the only Rotary powered car to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the only Japanese-American manufacturer to ever win Le Mans. Heh, it was so good that rotaries were banned the following year cause they were too advantageous.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #2074
In Runtime
 
ccasmoe00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 197
Send a message via AIM to ccasmoe00 Send a message via Yahoo to ccasmoe00
Default Re: Car Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
Lightweight, compact and they put out a lot of horsepower for the size. For example, the RX-8's Renesis rotary engine is about 1.3 litres, but it puts out about 230-ish horses. They also rev insanely high...the RX-8 redlines at 9000 RPM.

The rotary gives the RX-8 a big advantage in handling also. Because it's so compact, Mazda can fit it towards the middle of the car, which gives it a near 50-50 weight distribution.



The Mazda 787B is so awesome...the only Rotary powered car to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the only Japanese-American manufacturer to ever win Le Mans. Heh, it was so good that rotaries were banned the following year cause they were too advantageous.
I know, when I heard it was banned, I laughed!!!! Also many don't know this, but a Japanese Racer helped design the RX8.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo
4G DDR2 Memory
NVidia GeForce 7300LE
7.1 High Definition Audio
500GB Hard Drive
8 USB (2.0)
ccasmoe00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #2075
In Runtime
 
ccasmoe00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 197
Send a message via AIM to ccasmoe00 Send a message via Yahoo to ccasmoe00
Default Re: Car Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hascet View Post
What advantages do rotaries have over normal engines?
It has less moving parts as well...
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo
4G DDR2 Memory
NVidia GeForce 7300LE
7.1 High Definition Audio
500GB Hard Drive
8 USB (2.0)
ccasmoe00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #2076
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Car Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasmoe00 View Post
It has less moving parts as well...
Yeah, instead of having a piston and all that, it's just a convex triangle that rotates. The only downside I see that the Wankel has is the fuel consumption. They're so uneconomical. I heard with the FDs sometimes you could smell the petrol coming from the exhaust cause the 13B didn't burn it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasmoe00 View Post
I know, when I heard it was banned, I laughed!!!! Also many don't know this, but a Japanese Racer helped design the RX8.
Yeah and I think the CEO of Mazda was also a former race car driver.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #2077
In Runtime
 
ccasmoe00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 197
Send a message via AIM to ccasmoe00 Send a message via Yahoo to ccasmoe00
Default Re: Car Thread!

Heres a GREAT(Very Fair) opinion of the RX8.

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo
4G DDR2 Memory
NVidia GeForce 7300LE
7.1 High Definition Audio
500GB Hard Drive
8 USB (2.0)
ccasmoe00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #2078
In Runtime
 
ccasmoe00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 197
Send a message via AIM to ccasmoe00 Send a message via Yahoo to ccasmoe00
Default Re: Car Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
Yeah, instead of having a piston and all that, it's just a convex triangle that rotates. The only downside I see that the Wankel has is the fuel consumption. They're so uneconomical. I heard with the FDs sometimes you could smell the petrol coming from the exhaust cause the 13B didn't burn it all.



Yeah and I think the CEO of Mazda was also a former race car driver.
Yeah, but that loss of a couple of miles is soooooooooooooooooo worth the thrill of driving it!!! lol
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo
4G DDR2 Memory
NVidia GeForce 7300LE
7.1 High Definition Audio
500GB Hard Drive
8 USB (2.0)
ccasmoe00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #2079
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Car Thread!

Oh yeah, I saw that awhile ago.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #2080
88
Fully Optimized
 
88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Re: Car Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Z anymore. Back when Nissan was still Datsun, the 240Z was just AWESOME. Fast, light and everything a sports coupe should be. Then it just started being built for fat American asses and now its getting heavier and heavier. Also, like ccasmoe00 said, theres nothing in the car that excites you...the Renault engine just drones and you just get bored when you look at the car.

Like I said, I'd buy the RX-8 over the 350Z in a heartbeat without a second thought. It's unique, light, quick and I just love Wankel Rotaries.
no real offense but it sounds like you've been watching a little too much Top Gear. lol, it's kinda funny because everything you said is exactly what the guy on Top Gear said almost word for word.

But anyways, i understand that the guys from Top Gear know what they're talking about so I'm not saying anything you quoted was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasmoe00 View Post
Heres a GREAT(Very Fair) opinion of the RX8.

pretty sweet, im impressed
__________________

88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0