vBulletin

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
OK, I am not sure where this would go, so I am putting it here. This is mainly directed towards David. I have phpBB for my forum. Would it be worth spending the $160 for the vBulletin software? I like phpBB because it is free and can be modified using modifications, but would it be better to have vBulletin? Thanks.

jervin

depends how big/successful your forum is. i find phpbb is great, except vbulletin is slightly more advanced and professional.
i dont think it would be worth spending that sort of cash on it

Neither do I, especially for three members. I can mess around with some modifications for it. I just need to learn how to do it. :( Coding is not my specialty, especially php.

yea im a bit noobish to phpbb aswell, but theres so much you can do with it (i added a streaming radio link to my forum homepage once, which was cool). ive installed a few mods though. some of the coding is easy, just involves changing/adding a few lines in notepad then uploading some files. there is an automod installer aswell (cant remember the name) which ive used a few times.

if you have 3 members then theres deffo no point buying vb, unless you think you can turn it into a busy forum?

there is an automod installer aswell (cant remember the name)

EasyMod. But it requires php, which I don't have on my desktop, as I will do the mods using an FTP client. But the mods usually come with instructions. If I can cook out of a cookbook, I should be able to follow instructions on a modification. :p

easymod thats it!
what you mean it requires php on your desktop?
you just install the program on the ftp then put the mods on and easymod will install them. its all done on the ftp/admincp

The EasyMOD installation file to install EasyMOD is a php file.
yes, but you put it on the ftp and then just type it in your browser to install
eg: jervin.co.uk/easymod/install.php
then that will install it. you do not run of your pc

I see, thanks dude se, as you see I am a bit noobish myself. This may make those mods a breeze. :D

although it doesnt work too well with some mods, in fact youve got to pick them quite carefully. just google about. on the phpbb site it tells you how easy it is to install a mod so if you want to try one yourself pick one that says easy and has a low installation time.
i can also help you edit the links on each page if you want. like at the top where it says private messages, member list, etc. you can change that to whatever you like and do all sorts of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom