PHP vs. Pearl

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi all,

Michelle here.

I want to know, objectively, LOL yeh right, who thinks Pearl is better than PHP & why & if it's just as easy to find a Pearl Programmer than a PHP programmer.

This is for DB applications.

Pls. only respond to this thread if you know PHP & Pearl really well.

Thanks & have a great night :)

Michelle

I'd say PHP was better, simply because of the amount of support you have for different database servers.

the suport for mail sending
file manipulation
image generation

as far as I know perl is much more limited with no built in support for mail/image manipulation.

as well as scripts being lpaced ni the CGI-bins, which leave servers more open to attacks than when using PHP scripts that can be placed anywhere on the server.
(you might want to check that last bit out more thourally)

People have been talking about mod_perl, so I think that nixes the CGI bin idea.

Michelle

root said:
I'd say PHP was better, simply because of the amount of support you have for different database servers.

the suport for mail sending
file manipulation
image generation

as far as I know perl is much more limited with no built in support for mail/image manipulation.

as well as scripts being lpaced ni the CGI-bins, which leave servers more open to attacks than when using PHP scripts that can be placed anywhere on the server.
(you might want to check that last bit out more thourally)

I would say I prefer perl but it is more common to use PHP for DB applications as it comes with a DB connection whereas you would have to install one for perl.

Back
Top Bottom