xubuntu help?

Mutant Corn

Daemon Poster
So I built a pc out of old parts and put xubuntu on it...and now I'm utterly lost. I've found linuxcommand.com, but I can't access my terminal...when I try it reboots. I have this little command console on my lower taskbar, but it doesn't seem to do anything but tell me it doesn't recognize the command every once in a while. Also, I have no idea how to install anything...none of the guides seem to make sense..

good lord I feel like a computer noob again :(

edit: should've picked a more popular distro....ha

How old are the parts that you used for the computer? The reason that I ask is that you might want to try the ubuntu flavor. I haven't used xubuntu yet so I don't have a lot of help there. Sorry. Then I would recommend checking out the absolute beginners forum at http://ubuntuforums.org. They are very helpful.

As for how to install things, once you get your terminal working you can use the command: sudo apt-get install... this will go to the ubuntu repositories and download any program that there is a repository for. Another way is to go to the applications section in the tool bar and go down to add/remove programs. This works just like it sounds. All the programs that are installed on your computer are shown, as well as any or all other programs that are available.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers! :)

Back
Top Bottom