XP Serial from old PC to new PC?

Badboy

Baseband Member
I have an old compaq PC that I'm going to replace that has WinXP on it. On the side of the case, it has the serial code. If I were to get XP software, can I use that code on a new PC?

Basically, I'm trying to find a way to cut down the cost of getting an OS. Any hints?

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about is illegal.

At one point you had to purchase the serial that's on the side of the PC.

It is not illegal as long as you use the serial to install per 1 PC.

But if you have a volume liscense it's different.
It'll work as long as your version corresponds with the serial.
ie; Home or Professional.

At one point you had to purchase the serial that's on the side of the PC.

It is not illegal as long as you use the serial to install per 1 PC.

But if you have a volume liscense it's different.
It'll work as long as your version corresponds with the serial.
ie; Home or Professional.

I'm pretty sure that OEM type license for computers preinstalled with Windows are only valid for that particular machine. If a full version of Windows was purchased by the customer and installed on a PC, then you could legally move it to a different PC as long as you remove it from the original PC.

I'm pretty sure that OEM type license for computers preinstalled with Windows are only valid for that particular machine. If a full version of Windows was purchased by the customer and installed on a PC, then you could legally move it to a different PC as long as you remove it from the original PC.

Well, when I move licenses around the same key works every time as long as I don't use the key twice while 1 install exists.

Because keys used to forget when you did a "major" hardware upgrade.

Which is why when Microsoft nowadays notices 2 activations for 1 serial they ask "Have you performed any major upgrades to your computer?" instead of just blacklisting the key.

Personally, it's fine to me.
But if you want to be cautious you can always call Microsoft and talk to an individual in India with horrible English and an extremely thick accent.

I'm pretty sure that OEM type license for computers preinstalled with Windows are only valid for that particular machine.

This is correct. Since the copy of XP that came with your original machine will almost certainly be an OEM copy, you can't legally transfer it to another machine I'm afraid - it's as simple as that.

If you want to get an OS for free, give Ubuntu a try.

Back
Top Bottom