WindowsXP startup problems

Punch-M6.net

Baseband Member
My PC seems to be having troubles at the moment. When you start it up, WindowsXP will boot up and then hang on the 'wait while loading' screen. If you leave it for 15mins or so until the screensaver comes on then move the mouse it will magically display the login screen.

It also has the problem of thinking that there is a password for an account where there isn't one, and then trying to automatically log in with the incorrect password, but I think that's a seperate issue.

Any ideas? Or should I just reformat and start again?

Thanks for your time.

Hmmm, the first problem with the wait while loading screen sounds like it needs a reformat. Probably something corrupted in the System.ini. I imagine just a Fix from the Windows CD wioll do the trick too.

For the second with the password. Are you using the 2000 style prompt login screen or the Welcome Screen?

I'm using the welcome screen. I'm pretty sure I'll have to reformat, which should fix both problems, but it's a pain because I then have to download all the driver/windows upgrades etc. again and I'm on a modem connection at home :(

Thanks for your help.

if you use the windows cd to repiar it then u wont lose your stuff
but then u have to deal with the password
dont they have a defualt password or anything i dont no neva had tht prob

I just reformatted in the end. I wanted to change my partition sizes anyway, so I just backed up imortant data and wiped the lot. It all works faster now, too.

As a temporary fix, I found that disabling auto logon stopped the computer from hanging, which was good.

I do have another odd little 'problem' now, though, in that Windows says my computer has a 1.83Ghz CPU, instead of the 2.6 that it does, indeed, possess. I figure this is just a windows problem that doesn't really matter, though.

Thanks for your help.

Well its probably just the bios you will need to check your multipliers and the setting of your fsb. I am not good with intel stuff.

Could one of the mods move this to the computer hadware discussion forum. No one ever looks at this one.

Back
Top Bottom