Windows XP to Windows 7

killthenakedcat

In Runtime
I used the windowss upgrade advisor and everything seems to be a go except my nvidia control panel. I have an 8500gt which is enough to run widnows aero or whatever and before installing the nvidia drivers the program said my graphics adapter was insufficient to run windows aero. Now that I installed the driver for it, the program says that there are issues with the nvidia control panel. That is the only problem that upgrade advisor finds. Now when I install windows 7 using the custom install selection, everything goes fine. It loads installs windows files, reboots. Then it goes through the second step and reboots. The third step and then it reboots. When it gets to the last step it reboots but then it gives me a message that says "This version of windows could not be installed...." it boots to XP. Somewhere I read to disable cacheing in my BIOS. I have done that and every time I try to install windows 7(a custom or CLEAN install) it sends me back to windows XP.
Anyone have any ideas of what to do? I have seen this problem listed as an issue with vista upgrades but now with XP to 7 clean installs. Please help

It doesn't sound like you're doing a "clean install". If you were, you wouldn't be able to boot back into XP after 7 failed. In order to do a clean install you need to delete the XP partition and then create a new partition from the newly unassigned space. The installation program will take care of the formatting for you.

ok I am in the midst of doing this now I have deleted the XP partition completely...will see if it works within next 10 mins or so.

seems the first time I tried it I got as far as the "loading setup" screen and then it rebooted

OK...2nd attempt I get a blue screen error message.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I know it's not a RAM issue because I only get this issue when trying to install Windows 7...I can install XP over and over again and use my pc but right now I have no OS on there because I gave up for right now...it's not worth it to install XP again if I'm going to try 7 again and again...Anyone know what the error could be?

ok I am in the midst of doing this now I have deleted the XP partition completely...will see if it works within next 10 mins or so.

seems the first time I tried it I got as far as the "loading setup" screen and then it rebooted

OK...2nd attempt I get a blue screen error message.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I know it's not a RAM issue because I only get this issue when trying to install Windows 7...I can install XP over and over again and use my pc but right now I have no OS on there because I gave up for right now...it's not worth it to install XP again if I'm going to try 7 again and again...Anyone know what the error could be?

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html
lol google is your friend.
Try removing one DIMM and installing, if it does it again, replace it and remove the other (and so on if you have more than 2)

if not, just follow the directions in the link.

I did google it and saw that...tried again and got 2 different error messages. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...so far I've gotten 4 different BSOD messages,

AS far as following that link....I have restarted as soon as the message pops up and the temps are at 50 degrees Celsius, much below warning or shutdown temp of 80-90 degrees. I know the RAM is good, I have no issues in XP and I only have 2 Gigs so it's not the issue many have had with more than 2 Gigs.

I have now gotten as far as to where it restarts and installs new devices then gets to 99% and I get a message that says "Windows could not configure one or more system components you must restart installation" any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom