windows xp pro problem

JTT90

Solid State Member
Ok, So i have a old HP pavilion XE738 that got a virus about a year ago, so i stored the computer and used one of my other ones. Well today i got it out to re-install windows xp pro and use the computer for my music.. Well i cant get the computer to boot the XP CD. so i let the computer boot up to windows and then i can explore the CD but when i restart it wont load the CD.. I have tired everything! it goes to a black screen and wants me to click CRTL+S and that takes me to a boot up utilities and everything in there hasnt helped me with my problem.. i have tried other CD-rom drives and i get the same problem, even tried my other XP software's, I also tried the XP software's on my other computer and everything is fine.. what should i do?

Have you made sure that the CD drive is listed as the first boot device (or at least before the hard drive) in the BIOS?

Do you have the ability to boot from USB? You can take a USB storage device and copy the contents of the CD onto the USB Device. It's a little different than just a straight copy, but here's a tutorial on how to do it, and the install process.

i was trying to update my BIOS.. its tells me to do this

You must restart the computer in DOS mode.
For Win-ME systems, this requires the use of a boot floppy.
2. At the DOS prompt, position to C:\HP\BIOSupdt
3. Begin the BIOS update process by entering the command: BIOSupdt

4. When rebooting after the update, the following message may be displayed:

0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default configuration used
Press <F1> to Setup, <F2> to Resume

5. Press F1 to enter SETUP
6. Press F5 to reset BIOS defaults.
7. Press F10 to exit SETUP saving your changes.
8. Press ENTER to confirm the save.

I dont understand how to position to C:\HP\BIOSupdt

Do you have the ability to boot from USB? You can take a USB storage device and copy the contents of the CD onto the USB Device. It's a little different than just a straight copy, but here's a tutorial on how to do it, and the install process.

well i lost my USB drive last week :( so guess i cant do that

So my friend took my hard drive and said he formatted it, so there is no windows on it now.. so when trying to have it boot from the CD rom i still get nothing, just a black screen wanting me to do intel boot utilities and wanting me to press CTRL+S ... if i dont do that then that screen goes away after 8 sec then it goes to a all black screen.. in the past i have re-installed windows before with this same CD and never had this problem.

Back
Top Bottom