Windows Xp help...

Skyline4life

Solid State Member
Ok at the mommnet im on my dads laptop.

I had to restart my computer because i unistalled a programe (window blinds) now i booted it up and nothing will load like aim will sign on but it then gets (not responding) and i only can get into firefox.. now it usaly takes me like 5 min to boot up my comp cause its gay and crappy, but i started at 3:30 and right now its 5:24PM central time and nothing will work. Aim wont sign on if i go on any forums on fire fox when i log in it frezzez and im more then pissed with this computer. I am debating if i shuld try a sys restor to yestorday or just reformate. But if i do reformate then i will lose a few progs and things i dont wanna lose or re-download. Yea so if any one has any ideas on how to fix this e-mail me at Skyline4life@gmail.com,and if you suggest me to formate it can you e-mail me on how to do it cause well i did it once and fucked it up..

Thanks,
Skyline4life

Ok, i know what it feels like to have your comp. backed
up in a corner....this can be any # of things ...

Let's just try some options 1st , before you have to do the last resort....system restore.

ok, 1st boot up to safe mode, once there, start/ run/ type msconfig....check the startup tab.

this will be a list of everything that starts up at boot...if you see a program .exe in their that's giving you problems or just being annoining, just untic the box...

ok, now go to control panel/network & internet settings/ internet options...delete cookies,click delete button & delete all offline cookies.

Now click settings...see the box that has MB next to it...set it to 60mb...by default....windows sets this to 650mb...no body needs that much space for cookies unless their downloading movies.

now click on advanced tab...scroll down the list til you get to ...(empty temporary internet cookies at close) & put a check in the box.

now , it's time to check what's in the run & run once folder's in the registry.

start/ run/ type reg edit now, go to :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT
VERSION\RUN

this will be the run folder...now check for anything that should'nt be in there...or a program that .exe
that is giving you problems, and delete the string.

this is ok to do, cuz what you are doing is deleting
the short cut that was placed in the startup folder
during the install.

now that that's done, their should be a folder right under that called the run once folder.

Now what ever in in that folder...delete...you don't need anything in there. now your done .

now go to the windows folder on the hhd.(harddrive) & delete all that is in the pre-fetch folder.

once that's done, go to start/ all programs/ accessories/ system tools/ disk defragmenter.

run that...it will take less time to run cuz nothing ir running in the background... now once that's done.

reboot and let us know if your problem goes away.
if it does'nt then you must have some sort of virus on your comp. & then you know you'll have to do the system restore thing.

hope that helps...

Wow thanks! but seems like every thing is working fine..but if thats going to help me boot up faster then ima do it! and mabey even free up alot of space on my computer. Ill work on it tomoarw its to late now.

Thanks,
Sky

msconfig is basicly used for controlling what programs\services are activated when windows starts up

Back
Top Bottom