Windows troubleshooting

a_gamboa07

Solid State Member
Hey guys i have a problem with one of my computers and that is windows won't start up. I turn it on and it takes me to a black screen and says this

troubleshoot.jpg

I don't have any reboot disks with me. so i guess i'll have to buy the windows software and re-install it? What are my other options?

thanks

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

...this is all what is says on the screen.

Sorry, couldn't see the image at work... stupid websense.

Anyway, this is a corrupted registry. You need to completely restore from the original CD. Do you have a floppy that you could boot from? I have the link to the directions on how to fix and depending on the version of windows this happened to, I may have the files you need. If you do have a floppy or something to boot from to get you to a dos prompt, and have either Windows XP or Windows 7 (the two versions I have, sorry but F*ck Vista) send me a PM and I'll get your email address and send the files you need as a zipped attachment. Even though I have some pos rep, it's always a good idea to scan any and all email attachments no matter who they're from ;)
Then follow the rest of the directions here.

Ok insert your reboot cd (you may have to borrow or buy one)
Then press "R" It will ask what window's installation to repair Usually it's 1.
Then type the Administrator password,
Then go "FIXBOOT".
Then type "EXIT" If this does not solve it then go back in, and type "COPY D:\i386\Config\system"
If this does not work let us know.

Back
Top Bottom