Windows Newbie with a question about OEM

jbolted

Beta member
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I want to build a PC. I'm used to Macs so bear with me, if I ask stupid questions.

I see operating systems for sale on newegg listed as OEM software (about half the price of the retail versions). It says that you can only use the software "once". Does that mean I can only run the installer on the software once? What if I need to reinstall the operating system and start from scratch 2 months down the road. Also what if I change the motherboard on the computer is it going think I am trying to install it on a second computer?

Right now this is the only thing holding me back from converting from a Mac to a PC. Macs just got too expensive for me.

With OEM, if you need to reinstall you can. By using it once, they simply mean it cannot be transferred from computer to computer.

Yes you can reinstall it on that computer. When it comes time to activate it, you'll probably have to call an 800 number and tell them that you got a new hard drive or that it died or whatever, and they'll give you the activation code to punch in and everything will work and be legal.

Back
Top Bottom