Windows 98 to XP install mishap

WhereBob

In Runtime
My brother tried to update from windows 98 to XP and it wasn't a compatible upgrade as some of you know. Anyway now on start up he has the option to "start windows XP setup" or Start Windows 98. The XP setup locks the PC and the Windows 98 works fine. Problem is the default start up is XP setup and you have 5 secs to select Windows 98 or he's locked.

Question is how does he uninstall or delete the XP setup or files.
All he has is the XP reinstallation CD which has no uninstall option.

Thanks
Bob

Go to Folder options and make sure that "Hide system files" is unchecked.

Then, go in your boot.ini and delete ONLY the line saying Windows XP setup. Reboot to try it out and it should be gone.

if all else fails, just pop in the cd..boot up to dos prompt..type fdisk / you should also have the option to delete and re-make the partition, then just do fresh install.

Thanks for the help.
I think the PC crashed hard. He installed windows 98 again and now it starts up in what looks like safe mode but can't get out of it. He made an undo disk but now the floppy drive decides to give an error on boot up without anything in it and will not read anymore. When we do get it running (safe mode) it runs and stalls on everything we do.
Its a gateway PC and the restore disk isn't the bootable type, you just run it and choose what you want to restore.

Thanks again

I'd like to just re format the whole drive and start from scratch but I not sure how to. It won't let me format the c drive either and the restore disk only reinstalls so its not a total restore disk so is useless in doing a complete format and restore.

How can we wipe this thing out and start all over?

Ideas?

Thanks

What microsoft discs do ya actually have, if any? If ya have a proper xp one then just boot the CD, and delete the partitions then do fresh install. Or if ya have a 98 startup floppy, boot from that to command prompt, then at the prompt type format c: Only do this tho if ya have an operating system disc to reinstall an OS or ya wont be to.

Back
Top Bottom