Windows 7 v. Windows XP

Rarazuh

Beta member
My friend is considering formatting his computer, and I was wondering if it would work Windows 7 or Windows XP better. It is pretty old and only has about a gig of memory, a duel core processor about 2.0 ghz at most. I'm wondering which would get more performance because Windows 7 might be nice to have.

Its a dual core? It can't be that old then.

It may be fine with Windows 7, and you can upgrade the memory most likely

With 1GB of RAM I'd recommend XP any day - while 7 is a lot better than Vista in the memory requirement footprint you're still sitting right on the bottom end of the minimum requirements, and for such systems my experience is that XP will be far snappier in terms of everyday usage. Some people on here seem to advocate 7 for just about every system out there now, but I still stick by my decision that running XP well above its minimum requirements gives a better experience than running 7 on the lowest spec hardware you can get away with.

If you can upgrade the memory to 2GB or so however and the graphics card can cope, 7 should be fine - that processor is more than capable. If you just want to run it as is though, I recommend XP as the way to go.

I'm running windows 7 in a single core 1.8Ghz machine with 1.5GB ram no trouble...

as Berry says, you'll probably get a better experience from running XP rather than windows 7. just because the specs are above the minimum... -though really since SP2 the minimum requirements of XP are pretty much the same as the minimum requirements of windows 7...

I know that the minimum XP is something like 266MHz 64MB ram. but that doesn't really work.

Back
Top Bottom