windows 7 and onboard usb/firewire conflicts

craig198

Solid State Member
anybody else have conflicts with on board usb/fire wire devices (ie using the on board connectors not the back panel)

setup: windows 7 64bit
2 ati tv wonder cable card tuners (on board usb)
1 Ir receiver unknown brand (on board usb)
wireless keyboard/mouse (FRONT PANEL USB)or any other standard usb port.

only partial solution so far was to disable on board fire wire. I say partial because we still had a tiny loss of IR today but it fixed itself pretty fast.

It seems windows 7 has a hard time assigning usb devices and they disable sometimes. does anyone else have this problem or am I the lucky nut in the shed.

It would be nice to be able to use full functionality of hardware ie not disable stuff to get others to somewhat work.

P.S. this is not motherboard specific before you start thinking chipset driver issues. we have used asrock,gigabyte,intel motherboards and all suffer to some degree this issue( and we updated the chipset drivers anyway). and its not tuner specific as in maybe its just a bad tuner. we have used 3 or 4 sets of ati tuners.

problems come in different flavors, from loosing tv tuners. loosing Infrared. basically any device usb dependent.

poweroff(ie complete power cutoff as in plug not connected to PS) seems to force windows to rebuild its usb device list. but still this is only a temp fix. because a restart could lead to the same problem again.

on the first unit we had(lifeware lifemedia) even plugging in a usb stick would knock off infrared lol. We built our own unit with a similar config and its better but still exhibits strange usb behavior until firewire is disabled. but like I said this did not 100% fix it either. more like 99%.

That is an odd issue. The only thing I can think of would be that they're being assigned the same I/O address, but this should cause the system to completely crash... not disable one at a time. I would unplug all the devices, then plug one in at a time, booting between each so it starts to assign I/O addresses.

cool thanks for the tip infection! only problem I see with this is that the I/O addresses would be lost on a complete power failure right?

is there a manual way to assign I/O addresses for usb?

do you think its just windows 7 and incompatibilities with certain usb devices? I cannot believe this would happen to so many different setups.

anything I can post for you to help let me know.

I believe that when the system is off but still plugged in, you retain your I/O Address scheme. I could be wrong there though...

Try this, right click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Right click on one of the USB controllers (say the IR) and go to Properties. Click the Details tab and select Address from the dropdown. Note the address given (0000000XX). Now do the same for a conflicting device and see if they have the same Address in Windows.

Back
Top Bottom