What Operating System

bill gisse

Baseband Member
Trying to settle on a suitable operating system for all around use. There are so many versions I'm confused. Have half decided to go XP Pro but which edition! XP Home edition is not out of site either so if you can help me there also, I'd appreciate it. This not an upgrade, am building a new computer with an AMD 64 X2 3800+ CPU on an ABIT KN8 ULTRA Mobo. There will be very little gaming done on this rig.Thanks in advance. :cool: :cool:

Well ... there isn't much difference between Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home, there may be slight ones but most of the time, you won't notice them ...

Still ... how much more money do you have to fork out for Professional Edition compared to the Home Edition one which is only deprived from a few features which some people may not use ? Seems kind of unreasonable to be, although i have Professional Edition which was preinstalled by the way :p

there are various differences between pro and home editions...

such as advanced security permissions, (which you'll only really notice or use when sharing files on a network).
Joining a domain (which you'll only need if you have a domain at home)
The inclusion of a webserver (IIS6 personal edition -not available in XP home).
and also *some* tools released by microsoft aimed at the server market can't be installed on XP home but can be installed on XP pro...

For the most part a regular home user
I.e one who surfs the internet / Uses games / graphics packages / movie editing / etc... won't notice the difference...

it's only when you start to do thingas that are traditionally aimed at businesses that you will notice the difference.

I'd sooner have Pro. I can get a free copy off the University, but I think using it kills my laptop warranty.

i'm not sure malbuc, u might want 2 check 2 make sure. if u get rid of the recovery option, if there is one, then yes it most likley will. but if u can just get rid of home and put pro on it than it may keep your warranty. i would check with the company first just 2 be sure

Back
Top Bottom