What could a computer do with a yottabyte of RAM?

nano1000

Beta member
So a yottabyte of storage would be as big as multiple states and would cost 100 trillion dollars, almost twice the gross domestic product of the world.
A computer with 1000 yottabytes of storage could contain HD video footage of every second in the lives of every human who ever existed.
Now imagine some time in the future humans created a computer with a yottabyte of storage and a yottabyte of RAM, what could this computer calculate? What would it be capable of? Would it be able to, say, create a simulation of every molecule in a area to figure out the exact probabilities of different outcomes? Would it be able to generate a map of the universe and figure out exactly where all the hospitable planets are?

Holographic memory will be the next logical evolution of large scale storage. Neural networks will replace ram and CPUs. Smaller equipment size, higher levels of efficiency, lower costs.
As for your idea:
Using even state of the art electronics the power consumption alone would make it self defeating. It would be way too complex to maintain. And the cost would be prohibitive. Your concept is self defeating.
Finally you also have to take in to consideration even with near unlimited computer power, you're still at the mercy of the software.

Garbage in, garbage out...

Holographic memory will be the next logical evolution of large scale storage. Neural networks will replace ram and CPUs. Smaller equipment size, higher levels of efficiency, lower costs.
As for your idea:
Using even state of the art electronics the power consumption alone would make it self defeating. It would be way too complex to maintain. And the cost would be prohibitive. Your concept is self defeating.
Finally you also have to take in to consideration even with near unlimited computer power, you're still at the mercy of the software.

Garbage in, garbage out...

All perfectly valid points which I won't even attempt to disagree with because I don't have the knowledge or enthusiasm to Google . . . . . However taking Nano's idea as a concept .. . .

You'd also need the CPU to go along side it.

A computer with 1000 yottabytes of storage could contain HD video footage of every second in the lives of every human who ever existed.

Hmmmm could it?

I'm putting some very loose information together here but 1 hour of HD video is usually around 11Gb?

Again a number I randomly plucked out of thin air is 107,602,707,791 who have ever lived?

Taking into account the young early life expectancies of our early ancesters I would say the average life expectancy of humans would be around 35 years?

Making 3,766,094,772,685 years worth of footage and 33,009,820,682,584,000 hours worth of footage and 363,108,027,508,424,000Gb of storage required to hold all of that time in HD video.

and that's about as far as I got

On this subject I've just seen some information a web page.

On YouTube, 72 hours of video are uploaded per minute, translating to a terabyte every four minutes.

Now I know not to believe everything you read on the internet but if that's true!

Youtube's / Googles storage servers must be ridiculous?

1Tb every 4 minutes doesn't sound right to me?

That's 360TB a day of storage?
Surely that's ridiculous?

*Update. . .

From Youtube's website.

•100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute

100 hours compressed would be what 300Gb? So making it plausible that it is 1TB every 4 minutes?

Seriously how do they keep up with the HDD space?

Nothing. I have trouble consuming 16GB RAM with a full server and workstation farm virtualized. The amount of RAM it can address does little to the amount it needs to address. ;)

The amount of RAM and HD space we need is going to continue to grow, but i don't think it will grow to that amount in our lifetime.

Also, why would we need video of every second of every day of our entire lives?

Back
Top Bottom