Weird Boot Problem

Office_Max

Solid State Member
I recently started experiencing a strange problem in my boot sequence. I have my boot sequence to start off with my hard drive, then CDROM, then removable devices. Lately, however, when I boot my computer up, it seems to skip over the hard drive and go straight to trying to boot from a CD. I've already tried disabling the CD drive and the removable drive in the BIOS menu, but it's still trying to boot from CD. I get this message when my computer boots up:

Boot from CD:
No boot device available
Press ENTER key to retry
SATA-0 : Installed (primary hard drive)
SATA-1 : Installed (CD/DVD drive)
SATA-4 : None
SATA-5 : Installed (secondary hard drive)

I've had to start manually choosing which device to boot from. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and my primary hard drive was one that I put in myself, if that has anything to do with it.

Does your second hard drive have an OS installed or is it just for data? What could have happened is your hard drive order was changed. Your second hard drive (assuming there is no OS installed on it) may have been accidentally set as your primary in BIOS. So your PC attempts to boot from your hard drive, finds no OS and goes to the next device on the boot list. Just a theory, but I've seen this happen before...

My second hard drive currently doesn't have anything on it because I recently formatted it. I checked my BIOS to see which was set as my primary, and it's set up with my first hard drive as my primary and my second drive as my secondary. The only thing that I can think of right now is that, since my CD drive is set to SATA-1, my computer might be skipping SATA-0 and going straight to the CD drive. But if that is the case, I don't know what caused it. My SATA ports are set up like this:
SATA - 0: First hard drive
SATA - 1: CD drive
SATA - 2/3/4: None
SATA - 5: Second hard drive

is it set to master with a jumper on the drive? I've never looked at my sata hard drive to see if they still use these.

try play with the bios setting for the hard drive. i belive theres a setting for sata for it to act as a legacy or sata achp or something. watever its set to now try change to the option before it. sorry i dont have details but i recall having boot issues with dells and that fixed it

Okay, so I went into my BIOS and reset the defaults, but now I'm getting a screen that says:
Diskette drive 0 seek failure
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter SETUP
When I press F1, my computer goes to this black screen with a flashing underscore ( like the one in command prompt ) for a few seconds ( five to ten ) and then it boots normally.

its probably doing that becuase when u changed the bios back to default it make the diskette drive the first boot order. so it cant find it so the underscore is indicating that is looked for the next boot device in the order. but thats not wat i was recommending for you to do. is there a section in the bios where u can play with the sata settings? thats where u gotta make the change i was talking about

Back
Top Bottom