Virus

wizard12

Baseband Member
I recently got a bad virus. I was stupidly downloading something i "thought" i needed from a site i had never heard of (stupid me) and now i have a virus. This virus is masked with a fake antivirus software called Contraviro. Does anyone know anything about that particular virus? It will not let me go into safe mode and whenever i try it loops back to before windows starts. Anything i try with windows makes it loop or makes it freeze at the wallpaper. I try to start normally but it get stuck on the part where it shows the desktop wallpaper and comes with windows that say

"drwtsn32.exe failed to start please click ok to terminate.
rundl32.exe failed to start please click ok...
dumprep.exe failed to start...
dwwin.exe failed..."
Etc.

Then it said
"Corrupt file C:\windows\prefetch\RUNDLL32.exe-26332B33"
Or something like that.

I know that the failed to start messages are all about windows executables necessary on startup as well as the corrupt files.

I am thinking i should use the windows xp disc to repair the core files. Do you think that would fix this, as well as the virus?

-or-

should i just do a complete reinstall of windows?

Any ideas?

Bite the bullet and do a format/reinstall. You could try cleaning with an anti-virus scanner, but it will probably take a ridiculously long time to get acceptable results and may not even work well at all.

Also, i'm not sure if this helps but i can dual boot into Ubuntu so is there a way to do a scan from there?

I suppose, if you have an anti-virus app installed in Ubuntu. I'd bet that a lot of the free ones out there have Linux versions available for download.

Since you are dual booting with Linux, I say backup your stuff and reformat. Probly the easiest and fastest way to get your Windows back up.

I would do a reinstall, is it possible to jump data between partitions? I would just back everything up and remove it. Of course if you want to try to remove it heres some info :

"Contraviro is a rogue security program from the same family as Unvirex. When installed, Contraviro will be configured to start automatically when you log into Windows. Once running, it will scan your computer and list hundreds of threats on your computer. These “threats” are mostly legit programs, and if you were to delete them, you'd cripple your Windows system. What's the point? Contraviro just wants to trick you into wasting money on the “full” version of Contraviro to remove these fake threats. Contraviro popups may also bombard you with spoof system alerts."

Remover tool and docs are on this page:

http://news.loaris.com/contraviro-uninstall-how-to-remove-rogue-contraviro-security-program/

Tell us how it goes man and we'll do what we can.

Back
Top Bottom