Vanilla minecraft dedicated home server

invisiblekid00

Solid State Member
A friend of mine acquired an older gatway desktop(3ghz p4, 1gb ddr2). We plan to use it for a dedicated minecraft server (vanilla...no add-ons/mods) low volume (5 people at most).

What OS would be best for speed and stabilty? I've read Linux servers are best, but unsure what one's the best for this application? (Ubuntu server, mineOS+,...etc.)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Computer Forums mobile app

Any OS will do the trick. I have my old Dell Optiplex 210L Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz, 2GB ram and 160GB HDD and I ran Windows 7 on it. I used it to run Minecraft LAN servers with a few people and it runs good. How I do it is download the server jar (You can them here Minecraft Jars - Minecraft Forum) and then put everything in a folder on the desktop to easily locate it. I then remote into the machine. If you like I made a server and zipped everything which you download here https://www.mediafire.com/?ayri6w9vnj7e3vl which already has some plugins configured. You'll just need to know port forwarding and assign the public IP address from your ISP to the machine but bare in mind that you need a fast connection or you can hamachi which I prefer not to do.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Here is a guide I made on another forum
Hi guys. So I thought I'd show you guys how to make a Minecraft Bukkit 1.6.4 Server if you didn't know how to and wanted to, I've included a ZIP file containing the server files and it has some plugins already configured such as Group Manager, Essentials, CoreProtect and WorldEdit. I'll make this guide really short and easy.

So you will want to run this on a spare computer if you have one or if you computer is good enough run it on that. I am using my Dell Optiplex 210L with a Pentium 4 CPU running @ 2.8GHz, 2GB Of Ram and 160GB Hard Drive and it worked fine with 2-3 people on the server.

So I've already configured the server, You will need to run use the run.bat file as its a Bukkit Server instead of Minecraft_server_1.6.4 file otherwise the Bukkit Plugins won't work.

So if you want someone or yourself to be OP you can add yourself ingame using /OP [player] or by adding there Minecraft username in this file.

If you want the server whitelisted so no one else can get on while you are fixing it or doing something else then you can add their Username to whitelist file in the folder. To turn whitelist on or off ingame do /whitelist <on | off> then to add or remove some ingame /whitelist <add | remove> <playername>.

So if you want your friends to play with you will need to use port forwarding which most routers these can do. I am going to be using Simple Port Forward which does all the hard for you. When you install the program it will update its database and your router should be listed there. You will need to know the model of your router in order to do this.

This is what it looks like

So right and click press add new. Then a box will appear like this.

Once you have entered the following details it should look like this. Don't enter that IP address. You will need to find out the IP address of the computer you will be using otherwise it won't work.

Once you have clicked the update router button it will open a new box and work its magic. It has now completed the port forwarding process in my router, The page won't be like that as all routers are different. Now you should be able to play Minecraft with your friends.

Here is the link for the server files https://www.mediafire.com/?ayri6w9vnj7e3vl

You can download Simple Port Forwarding here Download Simple Port Forwarding - MajorGeeks

Last edited:
I went with ubuntu desktop and seems to run ok. I do plan to add at least 1gb more ram in the future. Thanks for the help BK_123

I went with ubuntu desktop and seems to run ok. I do plan to add at least 1gb more ram in the future. Thanks for the help BK_123

This may be a downer, but I don't know how 3 or 4 gb will hold up with a server. I run minecraft with 2 gb, and I use about 90% of it, so imagine what it will be on a server :/

Back
Top Bottom