higgs7488

Solid State Member
I'm currently considering purchasing the following cpu/mobo combo:

www.partspc.com/store/product1144.html

Would you consider this combination to be better than the following one?:

www.asus.com.tw/products/...erview.htm "ASUS P4P800S"

and

www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=116 "P4 Processor"

Another question, what is the difference between 400 FSB and 800 FSB, is it significant?

Thats the only relative difference between the 2 cpus. That and about 400 mhz of frequency speed.

I alread have 384 mb DDRAM in my computer now so that is something I wouldn't need to purchase. I also have a video card so that isn't a worry.

The OS problem, is however, my biggest concern. I've been told that with reinstalltion of a new mobo and cpu a reinstallation of my OS is required. I'm researching every possibility. I've come accross something known as "overwrite the OS". Basically I would use the Windows 98SE disc to directly overwrite the OS on my computer. This would enable the needed settings to accomodate your new microprocessor but your specific settings remain constant. For example, things like user-profiles, IE favorites, and Desktop icons would be unaffected. Is this true? Any other alternatives?

I really can't afford things to be greatly changed. My business life is very dependent on the way my computer is setup. Making changes such as formatting, or complete replacement of the OS is just not an option.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions

What is your Computer for?

What is your budget?

AMD 64 start at about 2800, but mainstream from 3000+ - so basically the Intel you've pointed out is never going to match them in speed or power.

AMD 64 is more futureproof if you're into the sort of high-end programs which may be running in Beta Form at least on 64-bit within a year to two. Intel is more powerful for Applications: if you buy the equal which the one you've picked out isn't. AMD will be slightly better for games unless you're going to push for an Intel HT EE 3.2+ in which case you will notice the huge Cache and the FSB.

I definetly will be going with AMD; I use my computer for business and alot of gaming, so I'm looking for the best money can buy.

I will be buying the following:

http://www.partspc.com/store/product1144.html

It comes with heatsink, fan, mobo, and cpu. Good deal. I wonder if Ill need a new power supply I have a pentium 3 cpu w/ 500 mhz.

I have a decent graphics card and 384 mb ram, BUT STILL my biggest problem is still unsolved. I cannot reinstall my OS but I'm told this is crucial when a new cpu/mobo is installed. Is there any way to get around this?

When you're ready to install it - ring up Microsoft and they'll help you through the Process. If you can't, PM me and I'll help you do it :D Legally of course... :p

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. My IE favorites, profiles, desktop icons, and shortcuts are crucial to my business life. A reinstallation would remove most of these, if not all of them. I cannot have this. Is there any way I can install my mobo/cpu without a complete reinstallation of the OS?

Yeah - reinstall the Motherboard and CPU; but still call up Microsoft about the enevitable Activation Problems that will arrise. If they can't sort it without a reinstall - use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and that'll save your Settings too.

Back
Top Bottom