Update not installing

copiman

In Runtime
I have a laptop with Vista and it only has service pack 1, so I attempted to update with service pack 2. Cannot get it to install. Any ideas?

Dell Inspron 1501 (Laptop)
Vista Home Basic
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3500+ 1.80 GHz
Ram 4.0 GB
32 bit
Hard drive 17.6G free of 45.8G

I ran spybot and found a few things. Still no go. Running Malwarebytes now. Going to work now.

If over clocked go back to factory defaults. Run cleaner and security scans. That's antivirus and malware scans.
When finished>
Close any and all programs running including antivirus and malware programs. Every thing. Disconnect any external devices like USB hard drives. Reboot. If your antivirus and malware start back up disable them. Then try it.
Installing service packs for XP and Vista shows how bitchy they can be some times.

Does it give you a message? Check if your laptop has the correct time setting if not that's your problem right their.

Update----Ran spybot, found some stuff and cleaned. Ran malewarebytes and found nothing. Today I ran Combofix and got a pop up message

" PEV.exe has stopped working"

I have attached the combofix.txt log

Time is correct.

Not sure what to do at this point. Also, not sure about overclocking. How can I tell or check?

Thank you all for helping.

Attachments

• combofix 1st run.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just wanted to update on this. So, far I have run Combofix, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Kaspersky with no solution to the problem. The first one ran (Spybot) found and cleaned some issues. The others that I ran found nothing. My original task was to just clean up the laptop, for example get rid of software that is not needed, adjust start up, clean virus/maleware, defrag, etc... While removing a particular program (MPM-an HP printer program) with Revo uninstaller, the scan for leftovers uncovered thousands and thousands of leftovers in the registry. I started goggling some of these and found they were virus/malware. Once I deleted all of them, it took care of the issue. I was then able to install service pak 2.

Thank you to all who responded. With your responses, I am learning every time. Very thankful for this site and members.:)

Back
Top Bottom