Thinking of dual booting with linux

xTRIxEDGEx

Baseband Member
Im thinking of dual booting with linux. Mostly because i wanna just try something fresh, maybe even completely migrate depending on if wine supports all the games im playing. But anyone can suggest the best Linux distro for a gamer and also thats not to complicated for a newbie to linux?

Sorry to disappoint you up front, but I can almost guarantee wine WON'T support all the games you're playing (unless you're addicted to minesweeper?) It's great for what it is, and it can support some 3D games now (which seems pretty amazing considering I remember around the time it first ran notepad successfully!) but it's never going to be a finished product. Cadega is Wine's "paid for" gaming counterpart, but again that only supports a few select games. What it does however it does rather well!

If you're willing to try other games, there's plenty of open source ones around, but chances are they're not what you're playing at the moment.

If I haven't put you off, Ubuntu would be a good starting point, it sets up pretty much everything for you and its hardware detection is pretty damn good these days. Suse is another good alternative if you're not happy with Ubuntu.

Yes i know, I've looked at the wine website and there applications database, and most of the games i play are actually supported pretty well with minimal to no modifications. Its mostly just for fooling around and looking fooling around with Linux. To be honest if i didn't game i would just port over to it because im just pissed off at Windows a lot.

And of course who hasn't looked at Ubuntu? Ive also been considering openSUSE or Linux Mint. But of course i think Ubuntu is the most user friendly of all. Which i will probably end up installing.

Hello all,

susan here trying to install Linux ubuntu over a partition which has xp in the other half as i see there should not be an issues, but please let me know if anyone has encountered such issues.

cheers!!!!

Well, if you want to play games, I would stick to windows. Linux isn't really good for games. If you only need to run windows apps on linux, you should do fine with wine.

@susan, I dual boot with vista and ubuntu, and I encounter no problems in doing so. Ubuntu is really easy to set up as another partition. Good luck.

Between Linux, Windows and OS X, Windows is by far the best for gaming.

However, PC gaming sales are way down because of the PS3 and Xbox 360. I use linux and do all gaming on the xbox 360

Back
Top Bottom