Thinking of doing a BIOS update. Questions

WeedCali

Baseband Member
So i was thinking of doing a Bios update on my moms system and ive heard thats its real risky. should i backup my current BIOS? also, it has a Bios recovery if it crashes but i dont really know how that works. i just need some useful advice on what i should do :)

Hi,

Why are you doing the update to the bois? Is there a problem with the bois currently? If so we might be able to help you with that If there isn't a problem then I wouldn't bother with updating. You have heard correctly that it can be dangerous to update or flash your bois. There is the possibility to not install the bois correctly and loose them all together.

Cheers!

BIOS, not bois :p

I agree though, unless you're finding problems or want some functionality that requires a BIOS flash, I really wouldn't bother. The BIOS recovery things work in lots of different ways depending on what make / model you have, it could mean anything from the BIOS rolling back automatically if something goes wrong with it to a removable BIOS chip where you can "save" the motherboard by replacing the chip.

If you do decide to go ahead, read up in your motherboard's manual on the BIOS recovery feature and decide what you need to do to make it work and be able to restore the existing BIOS if things fail, make 100% sure you're flashing the board with the correct BIOS, and lastly make sure your power is as stable as it can be - run from a UPS if you're in an unreliable area. Power outages whilst flashing your BIOS can be very destructive!

Read the release notes for the particular version of BIOS you want to update to. If the specific problem your having is not listed as being corrected in this BIOS revision then there is no point in updating. BIOS updates usually address very specific issues and shouldn't be used as a "hail Mary" to try and fix any old problem as they are a bit risky.

Back
Top Bottom