Swapping out Motherboard with Windows 7

JayRd7

Beta member
Hey everybody,

I am fixing a computer for a friend. He had an HP p6000 series desktop, but the motherboard on the computer died and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, a replacement mobo for an HP computer is upwards of $200. Hoping to save him some money, we bought instead a $45 mobo and a case that would work with all of his old hardware. After getting this new computer put together, I went to start up the machine but the instant it reaches the "starting windows" screen, the computer instantly reboots. After doing some research, I discovered that the issue is due to the fact that he has an OEM version of Win7 because he bought the computer from HP, and that you cannot swap out motherboards or the computer will refuse to boot up.

What are my options at this point? I have the OEM product key that's still on the side of his HP computer. Will I need to get a hold of an OEM Win 7 disc and do a complete OS reinstall using this key? Or is there some other workaround that has been discovered that will simplify having to do a clean reinstall?

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom