Sleep / Standby was working, NOW won't wake-up, Win2K Win 2000

gmcjetpilot

Baseband Member
I love standby, hit the moon button on key-board, computer sleeps. Hit power button and computer wakes up quickly.

Well now it sleeps but it does not wake up.

I have to pull the power cord. When it reboots I get the Desktop recovery white desktop screen, select OK and all is well. Computer works well, just sleep stopped working. Normal shutdown and reboot also OK.

(May be monitor but it seems to be working normally with its auto power-save function?)

Recently I tried to install a PCI USB 2.0/Fire-wire PCI card. The card did not work and sent it back, so I don't think that is an issue. I don't think that caused the problem but when the PCI card was installed the computer would not boot at all. Removing the card all was fine.

I also have recently tried the following hardware (which worked):

USB hub (computer is USB 1.1 and hub 2.0 but works fine)

USB to serial cable, which needed driver, seems to work as well​

I played around with the power settings and no luck. I also tried hibernation, which I normally did not use. It is hanging up in hibernation as well.

I unplugged the USB hub and USB / Serial cable and that is did not help, still nothing, it hangs up.

ANY IDEAS?

Win2k
Dell Dimension 8100
P4 1.8 Ghz, 256 MB

Thanks George

I love standby, hit the moon button on key-board, computer sleeps. Hit power button and computer wakes up quickly.

Well now it sleeps but it does not wake up.

I have to pull the power cord. When it reboots I get the Desktop recovery white desktop screen, select OK and all is well. Computer works well, just sleep stopped working. Normal shutdown and reboot also OK.

(May be monitor but it seems to be working normally with its auto power-save function?)

Recently I tried to install a PCI USB 2.0/Fire-wire PCI card. The card did not work and sent it back, so I don't think that is an issue. I don't think that caused the problem but when the PCI card was installed the computer would not boot at all. Removing the card all was fine.

I also have recently tried the following hardware (which worked):

USB hub (computer is USB 1.1 and hub 2.0 but works fine)

USB to serial cable, which needed driver, seems to work as well​

I played around with the power settings and no luck. I also tried hibernation, which I normally did not use. It is hanging up in hibernation as well.

I unplugged the USB hub and USB / Serial cable and that is did not help, still nothing, it hangs up.

ANY IDEAS?

Win2k
Dell Dimension 8100
P4 1.8 Ghz, 256 MB

Thanks George

it could be a lot of things. if it is hanging up once the computer goes into standby, checking your video drivers could be a good option, as they may have corrupted.

another plausible explanation is that your motherboard could be going out (a lot of weird stuff happens when that happens) your power supply could be on the frits.

do you expierince surging as you do normal computer tasks? like you computer almost like revving?

She is long in the tooth, 7 years old. I only replace the main drive a year or two ago. It was top-O-line Dell in its day (P4, 1.3Ghz). I suspect it could be serious hardware issues, but I'm hoping its just some code. It's running beautifully. Its so dialed in (it only took 7 years). Fortunately I have no fear of computer suicide because I back up all my data once a week (good enough for my needs). Thanks for the tips.

I'll try reloading some drivers and get a WIN update (that's the other problem Microsoft update has not worked for me in 6 or more months, hangs-up.) I'm up to service pack4 so that's good. I suspect MS will stop supporting Win2K all together, to force me to XP or horror Vista (which needs a Gig of memory to run). I think I'll get that Linux thing going before that.

Back
Top Bottom