Service Pack update failure

copiman

In Runtime
I'm trying to help a friend and learn at the same time. This machine has not been used in a while. Just cleaning it up for being real slow. This has been accomplished. Problem now is it is trying to update. Everything downloads and installs with the exception of one:

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906).

I know, this is old stuff. Thought maybe some of the folks on here ran into this back in the old days of XP. I have read where they said uninstall all updates and basically start over. Just not sure.

I get .NET-related update failures all the time, over various machines. Sometimes it can be resolved. Sometimes not.

Basically, uninstall it. Use CCleaner to clean up registry related to it. Then install a higher version of .NET by downloading directly from Microsoft (I usually try 3.5 if it's not already covered -- 3.5 supports XP so you should be OK).

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. The service pack was 2.

Here is what I did that was suggested to me.

Uninstalled >Net 1.1 Had to use Revo uninstaller to get it done.
Used .NET Framework Cleanup Tool
Reinstalled Net 1.1 and the service pack 1 for it as well.

Once I did this, the updates started coming. I now have service pack 3. I'm letting it do updates now until its up to date. Seems I'm out of the rut. Thank you for your help. I learned a lot.

Back
Top Bottom