Scanning a Photograph

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hi Folks,
Not sure if this is in the right place really.

I have a photograph that I need to scan to send to a family member. The scanner is giving me a number of options to scan it as but jpeg is not one of them.

There is the option to scan as a pdf file or a tif file but I'm not sure if the recipient will be able to open either of these formats.

Anyone got any ideas please? Many thanks.

Ohh wait. You mean export or "render as"? What program are you using?
I am sure he will be able to open PDF with ease. He should already have a PDF viewer installed. If not, chrome has an inbuilt one. Or download Adobe PDF reader

Last edited:
It's sounds as if you are telling the scanner to scan the photo as a file and not an image. Make sure that when you first open the scanning software that you tell tell it you are trying to scan an image, most likely you will then be given the option then to save as a .jpg or .gif.

You could save it as a PDF and your family member could probably view it and print it but wouldn't be able to do things like edit it, crop, rotate, etc... unless they had a program that let them edit PDF files.

Thanks for the input folks. Yes I have just learnt something new. As i progressed into the scanning procedure and went into 'Advanced' I did actually get the option to do it as a jpeg. Silly me, I should have investigated more before posting.
As usual, you guys are so helpful. Thanks again.

Hi! I'm glad you got it solved. We all have those moments. I have my share. I call them brain farts. My HP lets me scan Photo to Email or Documents to Email. For some reason, I have to keep adding that feature back as it will stop the scan feature to my PC and I have to put my install disk in and enable the scan. It's always done that. Just one of those little irritating things PC users have to deal with.
Gary!

.tif is a much higher quality file format for images than .jpg/.jpeg. If file size is not a problem and you want the picture to be as high quality as possible, then scanning the image as a .tif file would be preferable as the image is not compressed. Windows provides a photo gallery which is able to open pictures which use a .tif extension just as it would open a .jpg file.

Hope this helps.

Yeah but the files are pretty big even by today's standards. .tif is used when you need the extreme resolution to blow it up to poster size or bigger. Other wise it will chew up a lot of drive space pretty quick.

The problem with a .jpg file though is, every time you open it and save it, it compresses even more, making it useless. Sure, it's great for small copies of images you never intend on modifying, but a .tif file is much better for storing a raw image that you want to modify/edit.

Back
Top Bottom