Recovering PC's Operating System

Luis Medinas

Beta member
Dear computer users,

Can any of you tell me how i can recover an OS system from this lap top i have bought from a friend? The guy did not give the OS cd so i was wondering how i can recover it. I wish to get it on a cd so to format the laptop which is full of rubbish.

Kind Regards

Luis Medinas

Luis,
Welcome to CF!

Unfortunately, you can't make an OS install disc from an installation. If you know someone with the same version that's listed under the laptop (Should say what version of windows came with the computer) you can use their install disc with your key.

Luis,
Welcome to CF!

Unfortunately, you can't make an OS install disc from an installation. If you know someone with the same version that's listed under the laptop (Should say what version of windows came with the computer) you can use their install disc with your key.

True. This is something to be careful with. If you do acquire a CD make sure it's a valid CD as a lot of burned CD's come with extra unwanted programs/viruses installed. eBay sometimes has legitimate cd's, but you really have to be careful and know what you're buying.

Seems like a perfect opportunity to give Linux a try...

Definitely something to look into. Luis, if you're new to linux, my experience has shown me that Ubuntu is the most user friendly and easiest to install.

ubuntu.com is the website, there you'll find tons of documentation about linux, how to download the required images, installation, etc.

If you're somebody who just uses the computer for internet only, I'd recommend linux in your situation.

As already suggested, try Linux. And yeah Ubuntu is quite friendly so you might want to give it a try. I've never installed windows in my laptop. I've enjoyed ubuntu so much. So just suggesting you.

Luis,
Welcome to CF!

Thank you very much for your attention on this matter.

If i understood the explanation, i can see the windows version in the computer and then get someone to lend me a cd of same v. for an installation using my key. Where can i see my key? The person who i bougth the netbook from didn't give me a key.

Regarding the Ubunto OS: The netbook is for my parents who use it only for net and are not very good computer users. I can give it a try. Is this Os a version of Linux, is it Linux itself? Pardon my ignorance. I could go and do a quick research but am so busy with life, that's why i came here because you can give me a quick answer.

Luis Medinas

If i understood the explanation, i can see the windows version in the computer and then get someone to lend me a cd of same v. for an installation using my key.

Correct.

Where can i see my key? The person who i bougth the netbook from didn't give me a key.

Should be on the bottom of the netbook

Regarding the Ubunto OS: The netbook is for my parents who use it only for net and are not very good computer users. I can give it a try. Is this Os a version of Linux, is it Linux itself? Pardon my ignorance. I could go and do a quick research but am so busy with life, that's why i came here because you can give me a quick answer.

There's an Ubuntu Netbook remix which is great for Netbooks. Only reason I don't have it on my Netbook is because Netflix won't play on Linux and it's my 5 year olds netbook and he watches Netflix quite a bit. You can also install the Windows XP OS from a USB Drive if you don't have an external CDROM by following this guide:
http://www.computerforums.org/computer-software-articles/installing-windows-xp-usb-stick-5-easy-steps-103437.html

Dear Infection Zero,

It is possible to see the v. of OS and it's key in a label on the back. ( WindowsXP Home Edition) Thank you!

Installing from usb stick still requires a disk according to the "Things you will need for installing windows xp from a usb stick" section of the link you provided above.

I was thinking if i could download a trial from Microsoft website using another computer, put in a usb stick and then format the notebook from the usb stick and put in my key. Would this work?

Regards
Luis Medias

It is possible to see the v. of OS and it's key in a label on the back. ( WindowsXP Home Edition)

Sentence is a little confusing but, on the bottom of the netbook, it should state exactly what version of WindowsXP the netbook has a license for... as you stated above Windows XP Home Edition should be listed there.

Installing from usb stick still requires a disk according to the "Things you will need for installing windows xp from a usb stick" section of the link you provided above.

Correct. I never got rid of my old XP disc's but if you have, (or never owned any) I would suggest asking friends + family if they happen to have a copy you can use to install. Just make sure you enter your key during the install to again use the legal license that you possess.

I was thinking if i could download a trial from Microsoft website using another computer, put in a usb stick and then format the notebook from the usb stick and put in my key. Would this work?

Unfortunately, no. Microsoft no longer (and never did to my knowledge) allows the download of Windows XP. You will need to find an original disk from somewhere :(

Edit: It is sounding more and more like you're not going to be able to reinstall Windows XP as you don't have the original install media. How old is this laptop? You say that the thing is full of rubbish but would it be too far fetched to consider uninstalling all un-needed programs and running maintenance software such as CCleaner, Defraggler, and some Anti-Spyware/Malware software? A clean install is always recommended (for me at least) but if you don't have that option, the alternative would still get the computer up to par for your parents.

Back
Top Bottom