Re-install OS, Trojan

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hi guys I believe I have a serious virus on my PC. Internet is slow but I can ping out, and I am getting a lot of pop-ups and redirection when I browse internet. So I have a 320 GB hard drive and that is where my OS is installed, and I have another 500GB HD and that is where I have my movies, games and music. My question is if I format my 320 GB HD and re-install my OS is my 500HD gonna be affected? I don't want to lose my data!!!!!Thanks.

2 more questions. I have to re-install the same OS version right, like Vista 32 for example? Also what if all those movies and files I haved moved from 320 GB HD to 500GB HD, could it be possible that those files may have viruses and transfer to the newly installed HD? Thanks.

Is it possible, yes. However it's highly unlikely that a virus will transfer from one drive to another.

If your really worried about the 500 gig drive, just unplug it before your install so you have no way to format the wrong drive.

OK so I installed Vista 64 bit in the 320GB HD and now I have "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)". "Program Files(x86)" is my new install. I can't delete "Program Files". What can I do to remove it?

OK so I installed Vista 64 bit in the 320GB HD and now I have "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)". "Program Files(x86)" is my new install. I can't delete "Program Files". What can I do to remove it?

There are two "Program Files" folders for a reason. One is for your x32 bit programs (Program Files x86), and the other is for your native x64 bit Programs (Program Files).

It won't let you delete it because it is a system file and therefore cannot be deleted.

The "Program Files" are from before and I don't need it because I have the exact files in 'Program Files(x86)". It is taking up almost half a gig of unnecessary space.

all to do with permissions. right click the folder. go to properties, then security. the best way is to add a new group called "everyone" and enable full control, then delete it

Back
Top Bottom