Please Help

GeneralZod

Solid State Member
Good morning everyone! Needed some help with a computer I am building, and I thought this might be the place to try.

Computer Specs:
Core 2 Duo Processor Running 2.88 gHz per core
4 gigs (2x2gig) ram at 1333 FSB
intel motherboard
Raptor 10,000 RPM 150 gig HD on Sata Connection
DVD player running on Sata Connection (first time I have seen that)
NVIDIA 8800 512 mb graphics card, dual DVI out
620 watt power supply
24" High Def Monitor

Alright so here is the problem, I put everything together and it starts up, the owner wants windows put onto the box. He gave me a legitimate install disc and unfortunately it gives me the Blue Screen of Death:

Stop, cannot continue error 0x0000007B
Blah Blah Blah something about removing new hard drives, testing for viruses all that jazz.

I thought to myself, well that is odd, so I'll try and load linux :) it worked fine, right now its formated in Ubuntu Gutsy. I really need to load windows onto this machine, please any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

Does the error message say anything like this: STOP: 0x0000007B (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
If so check out this page from microsoft:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

If that doesn't work try installing windows from a copy that you have? And if so what the result was. Try that first and see what happens. It might just be a bad copy.

Also make sure that everything is connected correctly, check and double check.

alright, so I thought it might be the sata drivers, so I custom made a boot disc with some sata drivers on it, and it got past the previous point to where it was starting to install windows, until I came to the error of IRQL not less or equal than.

So I thought perhaps, I would try an IDE hard drive, plugged it in, tried to install windows, still nothing.

Windows doesn't seem to want to run, and given I have tried the owner's legit copy of Xp Pro SP1, and my hacked edition ultra professional service pack 2. on both the IDE and Sata hard drive, having exchanged out the ram just to make sure, swapping in my own 2(2x1 gig) sticks.

Honestly I think its windows because if linux loads onto all of this crazyness, doesn't that mean that all the hardware is working correctly? fault being with windows?

From everything that you have said, it would be the Windows disk that is cuaseing the problem. I would give the customer his SP1 disk back, and not use your hacked disk, that isn't a very good practice.

Next put everything back in the way that the customer wants it and inform him that his OS disks aren't working. That there are a couple of options that he has:
1: You can purchase an OEM copy of XP you can still get some off of Newegg.com, and probably Tigerdirect. Then you can add it to the cost of his bill.
2: He can purchase or get another copy of XP and bring it to you and you can install it for him.

There are a couple of other options like leaving Ubuntu on it, but that would mean that he would have to learn a new OS, or you could install VIsta if you have a copy. You need to contact the customer and let him know about these and see where he wants it to go.

Just a side thought. **Don't install your hacked copy of XP on other peoples computers. It just isn't a good practice. You wouldn't want illegal copies of stuff on your computer if you didn't now it would you?**

Cheers!

haha by hacked version I mean a re burn of the original xp disc with sata drivers attached, keycode from the box already coded it. I'm no hacker, believe you me. I was trying to get the computer to possibly load any windows OS in hopes that it would then recognize the customers copy.

curses to windows!

You realize that by burning the XP install disk, and inputting the keycode, you are essentially hacking that copy of XP. You don't need to be a hacker that isn't what I mean. Anytime that you download or buy a copy of software that isn't your and that has the Keycode already install on it you are using a hacked copy.

I don't mean to sound like a big bully or the Microsoft police or anything, I am just trying to help you understand why that isn't a good practice. Considering that you are running a business that is about the worst thing you can do.

ah I understand what you are saying, gotcha =) trying to get it to recognize something. I personally use Linux, community projects always get done well.

Anyway, this problem has definitely evolved, I'll post a new thread for it.

You don't need to post a new thread for it. Just let us know what the new problem is and we can help you. I will help you the best I can, and then I will pass it along to the more knowledgeable members.

So tell us the problem now, please.

well im confused...
it sounds like you built the computer withput an OS and then the CD (copy) wasn't working when you tried to install it...

is there an OS installed?ARE all your pins connected? was it working priort to this?

The computer was built from scratch, new egg parts. No previous operating system existed. I've been trying to load XP, but unfortunately nothing has worked. I sucessfully loaded Linux Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, and Windows Vista. Guess the fault lies with XP

Back
Top Bottom