Outlook Express Compacting Pop-up Panel

John Bull

In Runtime
I use OE6.
This annoying pop-up occurs every time OE is shut down. For users who only have a low activity, compacting and perhaps it`s attendant problems is not necessary. I do not compact as my Email usage level is too low. High volume users must compact, but there are many problems listed on the net where files and folders have been lost during compacting. Also, if a power cut or other disturbance occurs during compaction, then Oh Boy, you really have problems.

I do not wish to discuss Compact or Not Compact here, just to outline the procedure for getting rid of that infernal panel pop-up.

This pop-up panel can become counter-productive if two or more people use the same PC, as it is naturally magnetic to check OK instead of the "X" and if this is done compacting takes place. Something the Administrator may not want and if the user then immediately shuts down - Armageddon prevails.

So here we are :-
Re: OE file compression pop-up panel deletion.

1. Close Outlook Express and all message windows.
2. Start>Run>Regedit.
3. Navigate to this key :-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0 where GUID is the long number used for your Identity.
4. In the right-hand pane, double-click "Compact Check Count", delete whatever is in the hexadecimal field and enter ZERO (0), click OK.
To see the numeric count, check the numeric box at any time.

When the count again reaches 100, the panel will return - just repeat the same procedure.

John Bull

Back
Top Bottom