"Operating System Not Found"

Jules2408

Baseband Member
Computer : Toshiba Satellite Laptop
System : MS VISTA

Problem:

On a few occasions in the last few days I have closed down the computer by "hibernate" which I frequently do.
On 3 occasions when restarting the screen went black and the message "operating system not found " popped up on the top left of the screen.
The first time this happened I turned it off manually and then restarted. The same message appeared. I turned it off again and then switched it back on a few minutes later, the OS loaded and all was normal again.

The second and third times it occurred I just switched it off manually and switched it back on , the OS loaded and it was normal again. It does not happen on every occasion when shifting to "hibernate" but enough times to be concerned.

I do not know if this is a sign of a serious problem with the software about to rear it's ugly head or not because this computer has been 100% reliable from new and has been used daily for about 3-4 years. At least I have a new back up lap top if this one plays up or eventually dies.

I have carried out a few "shut downs" and "restarts" and the machine did not replicate the problem when doing so although I expected it might.

Can anyone offer any comment on the likely cause of this problem. I have not added any new software or hardware of any kind to the machine in the past 9 months.

Thank you.

I would assume if it starts and shuts down properly, but does not hibernate, then the sectors in which the system chooses to load memory when you hibernate is sketchy or bad.

Download seatools and run all the tests.

As explained the problem (with message pop up on black screen) occurs after setting the machine to hibernate (which it does as normal) and then trying to restart it.

When this message happends do you have any USB Mass Storage Devices attached i.e pendrive or portable usb drive?

this message happens when the boot order is set to USB first and there for can not see the operating system.

Load the pc and enter setup to the bios pressing keys F2 or esc and sometimes enter for toshiba and check the boot order.

Kind Regards

Thanks FT but there were no USB mass storage devices or any other Hardware attached to the computer on any occasion the problem occurred. There was not even an internet connection.

The first time it occurred I had previously been playing a DVD in the inbuilt dvd player for a few minutes but the Toshiba DVD player program had been closed before hibernating and then the problem happened on restart. Maybe that is related but I doubt it as the player in the computer has been used infrequently previously with no issues. So I am at a loss to know why the machine would suddenly not be able to recognise the OS and load it.

Thanks and regards.

Thanks FT but there were no USB mass storage devices or any other Hardware attached to the computer on any occasion the problem occurred. There was not even an internet connection.

The first time it occurred I had previously been playing a DVD in the inbuilt dvd player for a few minutes but the Toshiba DVD player program had been closed before hibernating and then the problem happened on restart. Maybe that is related but I doubt it as the player in the computer has been used infrequently previously with no issues. So I am at a loss to know why the machine would suddenly not be able to recognise the OS and load it.

Thanks and regards.

just check the boot order in BIOS settings and make hdd the first boot device.. and also check for bad sectors on your disk.. or u can say the health of hard disk..

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

No one has ever touched the boot order in BIOS and as far as I am aware it cannot change itself. I am best not fiddling with the BIOS settings without knowing the implications as I do not want to cause a problem.

Will do a bad sector check on the hard disk though as I have never done one of these.

Thank you again. Regards.

Back
Top Bottom