OEM XP from old box to new box

axegrinder

Solid State Member
I have read a few things concerning the OEM versions so I'll just tyell you what I'm up to cause I am a little unclear.

I have a XP OEM disk which is installed on my present computer come to think of it on the same box I also have Office 2007 OEM student.

I am going to purchase so new hardware, also I run Norton Ghost so I was thinking of just making a image and load it to the new machine, (BTW I know I have to take care of drivers and so on). When the new machine comes up I'm sure XP and Office will want to activate do you think there will be any problems?

technically that is illegal however many people do do it

i dont think just making an image would work as you would run into driver issues

when you say getting new hardware do you mean like building a new computer basically

in that case i would do a clean install tbh because xp would get confused when you booted it onto completely different hardware

technically that is illegal however many people do do it

i dont think just making an image would work as you would run into driver issues

when you say getting new hardware do you mean like building a new computer basically

in that case i would do a clean install tbh because xp would get confused when you booted it onto completely different hardware

Hey
Thanks for the response!
The driver issues I could take care of and yes building a new machine, I was just going to scrap this machine and that's were I was confused about the OEM thing. I thought as long as the licensed OS is just running on one machine no problem, but have also done some reading since I posted. And my solution is what the hell get another copy of XP for the new machine and just donate my old machine to a church or something like that.

This machine (the old one) is still very healthy, just really upgrading for gaming reasons but the number one reason is a multi-track music program that I use Sonar 6 The more tracks I lay down the more it fights, so it;s time.

Hey
Thanks for the response!
The driver issues I could take care of and yes building a new machine, I was just going to scrap this machine and that's were I was confused about the OEM thing. I thought as long as the licensed OS is just running on one machine no problem, but have also done some reading since I posted. And my solution is what the hell get another copy of XP for the new machine and just donate my old machine to a church or something like that.

This machine (the old one) is still very healthy, just really upgrading for gaming reasons but the number one reason is a multi-track music program that I use Sonar 6 The more tracks I lay down the more it fights, so it;s time.

If you had bought a full retail copy then YES you could transfer it to another system Legally. But since you have an OEM version, per the EULA Microsoft OEM software is tied to the FIRST motherboard it is installed on. Meaning you CANNOT transfer it to another system.

Hey
Thanks for the response!

sounds like you got it all covered there than mate , got any more questions on this or anything else ?

Back
Top Bottom